SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What kind of finish is on my board?
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What kind of finish is on my board?

ohio
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
the board you have has dyed plyes they are pressure stained veneers that are done by the veneer supplyer, when you say there are lighter and darker spots that is because the wood is harder and softer in thoes spot. the lacure is clear and glossy thats all there is to it. post a pic send it to slob and tell him where to post it he is the guy who runs this forum. urethane clear clog guns thats why they used lacure, it gets really hard and glossy. the more coats the deeper and glossier it gets, but it also board slides like crazy then if you put alot on. i got my spray gun at home depot and i have see companies use this same one as i describe before, they are like 50 bucks then you just get a compressor. i dont brush lacure on you might get brush strokes it has a leveling agent in the lacure so that it levels the lacure out on the board and you dont get any but i dont mess with that shit i spray like ten boards in like a few minutes. i dont know what you mean by doing detailed work if you want to do airbrushing this has nothing to do with that.
lacure drys quick too. but takes a day atleast to cure and really get nice and fuckin hard, you can sand it after it drys to the touch so you can do the next coat but let it sit a day and cure and you will see the results. i burned a few screens last night for screen printing, used a 500 watt shop light for like 7 minutes, i put my image that is on the transperancy on the emulsionize screen then i put a piece of plexie glass on top to keep it flat. then i exposed it with my light and thats it, wash out and im done. nice crisp lines ahhhh. even halftones!
olivelawn
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
@Ohio. Cool, I think that about answers my questions. I'll prolly post a pic of the board I am trying to restore and ask for some final touch recommendations.
ohio
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:31 am Reply with quote
yea i would like to see some more pics of what you guys are working on.
kxmotox247
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:03 am Reply with quote
Here is a picture of an area on the deck. Let me know what you guys think the finish is. It's a transparent glossy green color.

p.s. Thanks Slob!

[ This Message was edited by: kxmotox247 on 2003-04-04 10:10 ]
kxmotox247
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Just a little note. My dad has done a fair amount of woodworking. He suggested that I might be able to come up with a color using food coloring. I could try it on another piece of maple to get a good color match.
He said the it won't stand up to high exposure to sun though.
Just a thought.

ohio
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:33 pm Reply with quote
i dont know about that pic i cant tell anything from it need to back up a bit or somethin.
food coloring what are you talking about?
kxmotox247
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Food Coloring...yes. Sounds crazy but I guess you can make a "stain" with food colors. He's saying that I can mix some green food coloring and water and approximately match the green color of my deck. Then I can clear over the top of it. Keep in mind that this is just touching up the bare wood spots and certainly you wouldn't want to use food coloring to professionally stain decks in a manufacturing facility. Just a touch up.
My camera is all fucked up right now. I took 10 pic last night and all of them except this one are too blurry to make anything out. I just wanted to show how my "green stain" is flaked off like paint to expose the bare wood.
Thanks.
olivelawn
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright below are some pictures of my hensley resoration after I successfully screened the foot! Now I just need the final touch ups. You can see the wood discoloration around where the rails used to be (notice I filled in the holes?) and where I restained the tail. Notice however that the tail is dull 'cause it has no finish. Any suggestions on fixing up the area where the rails and cell blocks used to be? What about that tail finish? Laquer just that or the whole freaking board?

kxmotox247
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The Hensley looks pretty good!
Lard
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Have those marks on the hensley remained after you re lacquared it . If you havent tryed all ready you will have to strip the whole board sand it untill it is even in colour and then just give it a light coating of red stain. The other point being that where the cellblocks etc were will have compressed the wood fibres so they may be more dense and not may stain like the rest of the board.

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next