SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  general screening questions
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

general screening questions

Upland_Yo
Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:13 am Reply with quote
On dark shirts, you have to hit them twice and flashcure the first pass before you do the second. You can use a heat gun from home depot as a flashcure unit. Just need to get the surface of the ink semi dry so the second pass of ink will stay on top. You should always use tack to keep the registration in place between passes. Without tack, the shirts will move and the prints are not as clean. It always helps to have a few mm of offset between the screen and the pallet. You don't want the screen resting flat on the shirt. I was a screenprinter for many years and it's pretty simple once you get it. Plastisol is a pain but it's the only way you are going to get bright white. You can cure plastisol fairly well with a flashcure. It's not the correct way but it will look better and last longer than any other ink on a dark shirt. You don't have to worry about scorching dark shirts so you can really apply alot of heat with a heat gun.

[ This Message was edited by: Upland_Yo on 2003-05-08 10:20 ]
honky
Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:27 pm Reply with quote
thanks upland
you sound pretty certain about all that so I am goign to believe you.
looks like I am going to have to rig up some sort of [ghetto] frame/registration jig if I am going to get the results I want [from my kitchen]
I am thinking of a hinged wooden frame that holds the screen in place & then somehow a method of mimicing a shirt pallete.

if anyone has images or something of something like this they have seen that would fucking rock, but I know I am asking alot

thanks for all the help everyone

but if anyone else wants to weigh in with their 2 cents worth feel free
[this is my most succesful forum post anywhere ]
Upland_Yo
Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:32 am Reply with quote
I wish I knew a simple way to tell you how to set up a one color job. I had always worked for big screenprinting companies so we always had the expensive presses. If you ever had a tony mag bat tail shirt in the 80's, it was probably my sorry ass that printed it. I am sorry to the world for that but I needed money! What a sweatshop industry that can be...toxic as all hell. You know plastisol is PVC plastic in liquid form. It's pretty cool to learn the process and you get lots of free clothing. Doing good printing on 5 - 8 color jobs is pretty much an art form.

[ This Message was edited by: Upland_Yo on 2003-05-09 05:36 ]
honky
Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:08 pm Reply with quote
awesome. yeah I am not setting out to be a screen printing shop, if all goes well with the shirts & I start selling a decent amount I will hook up with a shop & pay someone else to do the work.
I have an idea for setting up a wooden hinged rig type deal. I have no idea how it's going to work but it's worth a shot I figure
Lard
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey Bro . what you want to do is get a peice of MDF and cut it to a size that will be wider and longer than your print by a least an inch. this will be your platern . screw a peice of 2X2 the same width as the platern to the bottom at the back. get two door hinges go for the strongest you can find but not to big screw them to the back of the 2X2 at the platern them screw your screen to the hinges . this is the most basic set up. I made one to start with and it worked fine for one colours . the only other thing you should do is make a frame that holds the platern up of the table to aid getting the shirt on nd of the platern.
Drunk Engine
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:43 am Reply with quote
@Green Monkey
Nope that is not my press, I just needed to find a picture of a screen press to display in the post, my screen press is a 4 color 1 station.
honky
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:48 pm Reply with quote
thanks lard
I was drawing some shit up on the weekend & that's pretty much exactly what I come up with.
right down to the MDF pallette
I didnt have a chance to do shit on the weekend besides draw it up [goddamn mothers day eating into my weekend, ps love ya mum]
so hopefully next weekend will give me more time to actually get it knocked up.
then the next challenge [after getting it to work right] would be a multi colour rig

although I think thats out of my league woodwork wise
honky
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:23 pm Reply with quote
wow.
the thread has gone over 2 pages. this is huge, hahaha.
Anyway I have built up my 'ghetto rig' at home. still needs a little work, have to make a stand / brace thing that lifts the pallete up so it's easier to load shirts on to it. I will shoot some shots of that tonite so people can use it for a reference if they want to know how I did it. But here are a few shots of the hoody I printed on the weekend with it. [2 pass with silver ink on dark grey hoody, flat pimpin baby]

Click to launch bigger versions

Thanks to everyones help on this thread it's been super helpful.
honky
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:11 am Reply with quote
as mentioned here are a few shots of the basic 1 color [t-shirt] rig I have set up
it's pretty cheapo as you can see,
but gives almost perfect registration.

Here is the rig without a screen or shirt loaded on it.
the flat wooden pallette can slide up & down the wooden arm on the bottom 'jaw' so you can adjust where you want the print to fall.

Here is the rig with a screen attached. 2 bolts come up from the metal braces & you can afix the screen with wingnuts for easy loading of screens..

loaded with a tshirt. ready to roll

a close up of the hinge setup. I tried a few basic butt hinges but they all had too much lateral movement. I took a chance with these flush cupboard hinges & they work a treat
they 'lock' the upper arm into place more to give excellent registration

well I know this is a deck screening forum & I thank everyone who took the time to answer the question outside of deck screening. I am pretyt happy with the results I can get now

Lard
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
Great to see you got it happening. Looks a lot better than my first atempt.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next