SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Pressing Decks
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Pressing Decks

bruised
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I have found some pictures of presses and molds used to make decks but next to no info on them. Are these presses and molds basically custom built or are there companys somewhere out there who actually make them? I've been searching but haven't found any sources. Does anyone have any leads?
Thanks.
Nick
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
I think they are mostly home fabrication rigs. There probably is someone out there that has the capabilitys to make the presses for you. I remember seeing a company selling there pressing and screening equiptment for 80grand.
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:40 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I saw that site selling the "full package skateboard press". It wasn't even a hydraulic press. It was just a threaded press w/ giant bolts you tightened down to press the boards. No way you could get the 2000 PSI needed to press decks. You can find presses and make your own molds. Ebay actually has a lot of Hydraulic presses for sale. You need 2000 PSI to press skateboards.
Nick
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok, that covers the press. What about the other stuff, such as the 8 drill bits machine, how can we make one of those or buy one? What about cutting the boards to shape and rounding the edges?
bruised
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info about ebay.
Supposing one could buy a suitable hydraulic press, how would a mold be created? Are they precision milled metal surfaces created from CAD drawings or are they hand shaped?
By the way, I ran across the site for the "complete skateboard company". It seems that an asking price of 60k should really warrant a more detailed description of just what exactly one is getting for the money. When I saw the bolt down press I was surprised that skateboard pressing didn't require more psi than that. Judging from what you guys said I guess they do!
Thanks again,
Chris
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Despite you guys make the complete package out to be bad I think, can one of you guys send a link to the site? Thanks in advance if you respond back...
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:53 am Reply with quote
@ Nick

as for the 4 drill press. Not sure. I use a single drill press, mark the holes and go. It's easy. I cut the decks with a band saw. I started using a jig saw for lack of Money. It worked good too. Band saws are easier though. Gets a cleaner cut. I round the edges with a trim router w/ a 1/4 rounding bit.works fine except where the tail and nose kick up. I do those spots by hand with a drum sander and it looks perfect. round em', sand it down and finish it.
Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:54 am Reply with quote
Here's the site for the $60,000 "complete package"
http://www.centuryskateboards.com/sale.html
Nick
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Five point! Your a big help. How strong are your boards? What kind of glue are you using?
Drunk Engine
Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:07 am Reply with quote
@FivePoints, that is the worst press I have ever seen. No proper way of measuring the pressure, it will cause varying ridgedness of the boards.
@Nick you can get a 4 bit jig adapter for your drill press, check with a local machine shop to have them make you one. Whatever you do don't jam on the press and break the bottom layer when drilling, it was very common back in the day but it is unacceptable now.

[ This Message was edited by: Drunk Engine on 2003-05-07 05:15 ]

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next