SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Wethersfiled, CT pool may be done for good...
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Wethersfiled, CT pool may be done for good...

jimbrowski
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
The park is now completely unskateable.The flat ground in the street course has been removed to fix the drainage problem.
Hal
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
jimbrowski wrote:
The park is now completely unskateable.The flat ground in the street course has been removed to fix the drainage problem.

Really? By who? Breaking Ground?

Have you been over to Josh's since completion yet? SICK!
roobs
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote
try that product called "goof off", its good @ getting wax off stuff. i can imagine that its kind of melted into the porous crete, but this chemical may do the trick. its not really that cheap but a little goes a long way. of course i would scrape as much as possible by hand and then leave the residue up to the goof off.

hope this helps, what a lame situation.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
power washer!
grotonskater
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Sep 2006 Posts: 643 Location: in your wives/daughters' room...
jimbrowski wrote:

not even allowed to skate the pool?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I just volunteered. If anyone else wants to jump on the save Wethersfield bandwagon....

Marty -

I'm writing you out of concern for the Wethersfield skatepark. I'm one of many adult skaters who use the facility on a regular basis. You may remember me from a meeting about the park's implementation around the time it opened. I'm the guy from Milford. Anyway, I'm told the bowl has been the site of some unauthorized bonfires and candle lighting ceremonies that have left it in bad shape. I'm also aware of the ongoing problems with drainage, grafitti, litter, and damage to the fence. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to get the local youth involved in some stewardship with the help of some adult skaters who use the facility. Heck, we're skating Wethersfield on Sunday mornings, anyway ... usually after we've swept it out and picked up the litter. Why not get some of the local kids down there, too? Maybe set some dates and offer an incentive like t-shirts for volunteers, possibly sponsored by local skate shops like Cutting Edge and the Alpine Haus. I'd be interested in in helping with this kind of activity ... and any contests, as well. My biggest concern is the skatepark will be jeopardized by the way its being treated and I'm hoping a sense of ownership among the local kids might be fostered by such activities.

The other thing is this - I believe most of the damage I'm referring to is likely not caused by skaters, but others who have access to the site after hours.

I know you probably have your hands full with this stuff, but if you need to seek out helpers I'm one of them and I know I can get a few others.
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
wow quick response. This guy is a saint.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for writing to me about your concerns. Let me fill you in on some recent developments:

The skate park is closed for the next few days. The designer/builder is here to correct the ongoing drainage problem that we have had. They have cut a trench and will install a drain, then replace the concrete that had to be removed.
All of the recent bonfires & candle light ceremonies were related to the recent passing of a skate park user. After we found the damage caused by the candles and fires we have met with some of the kids and educated them as to the damage they were causing. We believe that this will put a stop to those activities.

As for the trash/liter/debris that is a problem that I have been working on since the day we opened the skate park. If there is (and there always is) trash in the park when I stop by I tell the kids that they need to get out because I am closing it until I can get it cleaned up and that might take a few days. Then I offer them a pair of gloves and a trash bag, and they clean it up so I won�t have to close it. Hey, it works! I keep hoping that they will get the message and keep it clean, but until they do it on their own, I will be there to help them �learn�.

I would like to try some other approach, maybe it will work better than what I have tried. Please feel free to educate the kids that you encounter at the park, but you are right about jeopardizing their park.

Thanks for the help.

Marty
Bill Ry
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
Rad. Bill Helene: skatepark superman.

jraboin
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
A couple garbage barrels in the park might help. I know this sounds lazy, but must kids are just that lazy. I just don't want the park closed.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
we just finished cutting a trench in the flat and adding some additional drainage. this should take care of the water table issue.as far as the wax problem, gump is going to try and hit it with the power washer today so we will see. you guys should be skating next week...

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next