SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  would a shop w/o a store work?
Page 1 of 1    

would a shop w/o a store work?

scuzzo84
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is part 2 of my other thread in this forum. I wanted to know if I can start out as a local seller of skate products but without a store front.

The town where the shop will be is a major key for this idea. Basically its a town with nothing but Walmart and some boring stores. For a description of the town read the bottom section of this post.

Here is basically what I wanted to do. I want to keep a small inventory of about 5-10 of each core thing, so 5 sets of trucks, 5 sets of wheels, and so on. I would then have all my inventory on a website. I then would advertise in the school paper and word of mouth. They would order online and I would deliver with a 5 buck fee.

Reasons why I think this can work:

1. There is no local competition. The only competition is online. Why would they order from me when they can from CCS? First of all my prices will be much cheaper than CCS. A complete from CSS is around $130 and thats w/o shipping. I can sell complete for $115 delivered.

2. I will be heavily involved with the local skate scene. Someone mentioned a great idea here. An example of getting involved would be, getting a 24 bottled case of water for 5 bucks, go down to the park and hand them out for free and have my shop info on the label. Little things like this mean a lot. I mean dang I never got some free water at the park, and if a shop did that for me I wouldnt forget it. Not many shops give back in ANY way, some do.

3. Relationships. I think when I meet these skaters and have a chat with them, see whats up, see what products people want...this will all be something they dont have with other vendors.

4. If I go without a shop at first, I can get a good idea of whats going on with the skate scene in the area before I get a store front. I can study whats selling, build relationships, see if the scene is dying or picking up and much much more.

5. Keep in mind I will be involved with the local skate scene. I will be at contests, I will be handing out stickers, water, holding contests....

6. I will plan to get a store if the shop grows

Reasons why this is a bad idea:

1. They can order from another place.
2. They wont have a place to hang out

READ below to get an idea of the town

------------------------------
#'s messed up :/

Ok here is the setting:

State: NM
Area: small town area in NM
Population: 15,000
Skateparks: 1

Key points
1. The town really cares about school. There are many schools for such a small town.

2. There are no youth places to hang out and there are no stores or malls. They have basic stores such as Radio Shack, Grocery stores, but no mall. The walmart is the hangout there and that is the mall for them. Again like I said, there are no shops for kids, no video game stores, no ...cant think of anything else. Youth and many adults there drink and do drugs or go fishing/hunting.

3. There is a skateboard presence in the town. The town had no skatepark. Kids started a petition for the town to build one and they did.

4. There is no skateboard stores in the area. The next one is about 1 hour away and nobody really leaves town to the next big city unless its important.

5. The town isnt rich

6. There was a skateboard store in the town before but it closed for 2 main reasons. First, kids were skating in front of the store on the street and old people who run the management for that street were fed up with it. Second, the store had a deli inside the shop and that caused some problems where it wasnt making money.

7. The shop that was there before was doing well selling skateboard products. They were selling completes with generic trucks and wheels for $130 (everything else "name brand")

- They absolutely have NO cool shops.... If I had only walmart in my town and then a tiny shop opened I would be happy as heck. I dont care!

-Keep in mind this is a old style western town. Everyone drives pickups, they got adobe houses, and old fashioned building all over and open land...Basically its not a high class area and people arent into BMWS or cool clothes...its a pretty laid back place. Its hard at the moment for my to explain it...

10. I will charge a lot less than the previous skate shop. From my planning it seems I can sell a complete for about $110 while the last shop was selling a lot of complete with generic parts for $130. I think I can pull off shop deck completes for $85

12. I was told by a local skate that the scene is picking up and hes even seeing girls skateboarding which he didnt see before in town.[/b]
DILLINGERxCAPE
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
scuzzo84 wrote:

I just wanna say.
and i hope it doesnt discourage you but its a sad reality.

Small business is in a rapid downward spiral.
Corporations are taking over.
We have many things to blame for it, yet blame doesnt solve anything.
People go where they can find selection, as well as low prices.
Especially when the economy isnt doing so well, saving a buck means saving a buck and loyalties lay within the all mighty dollar.

having this been said in order to make it and set yourself out from the rest you have to stand out.
Make a presence known, be different, give them a reason to come to you in whatever industry you are in.
Doing things differently will set you apart from the rest.

there are soooo many things you can do,
you just gotta get into the mind of a kid again to figure it out.
Remember being young,
the magic life had when all you had to worry about after school was a little homework, a few chores and where you and your buddies were gonna hang.

Nice shop decks would be cool...
offer custom decks if you can figure out a way to do it easily.
If I were you I'd give incentive discounts...
for an A on a report card give em some kind of deal or hookup.
this will build the family type relationship you seek.
make the kids like you. and so on.
contests and stuff are cool to, but one thing you need in order to be legit is presence....
and as much as I hate to say it...
you need a store front, I think, in order to be taken as serious.

I own a print shop so I have no idea about running a skate shop but one thing I know about all shops is ...
you gotta have passion for your work, your customers can tell if you don't...
and its all about the customer cause without them you don't exist.

best of luck.
jcruz
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Good luck getting a distubutor to sell to you without a store front...
auragreg
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
yep - most distributors want a store front ... but there are some out there that don't need it.

the only problem with online, is that you are then competing with EVERY OTHER online place. which means that you will have to give them (your locals) incentive to buy from you ... whether that is with lower prices or something else.

Personally, I think you'd be better off opening the small store and selling from there WITH an online presence. Especially since you have no rent!

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
auragreg
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
scuzzo84 wrote:
Ok this is part 2 of my other thread in this forum. I wanted to know if I can start out as a local seller of skate products but without a store front.

The town where the shop will be is a major key for this idea. Basically its a town with nothing but Walmart and some boring stores. For a description of the town read the bottom section of this post.

Here is basically what I wanted to do. I want to keep a small inventory of about 5-10 of each core thing, so 5 sets of trucks, 5 sets of wheels, and so on. I would then have all my inventory on a website. I then would advertise in the school paper and word of mouth. They would order online and I would deliver with a 5 buck fee.

Reasons why I think this can work:

1. There is no local competition. The only competition is online. Why would they order from me when they can from CCS? First of all my prices will be much cheaper than CCS. A complete from CSS is around $130 and thats w/o shipping. I can sell complete for $115 delivered.

2. I will be heavily involved with the local skate scene. Someone mentioned a great idea here. An example of getting involved would be, getting a 24 bottled case of water for 5 bucks, go down to the park and hand them out for free and have my shop info on the label. Little things like this mean a lot. I mean dang I never got some free water at the park, and if a shop did that for me I wouldnt forget it. Not many shops give back in ANY way, some do.

3. Relationships. I think when I meet these skaters and have a chat with them, see whats up, see what products people want...this will all be something they dont have with other vendors.

4. If I go without a shop at first, I can get a good idea of whats going on with the skate scene in the area before I get a store front. I can study whats selling, build relationships, see if the scene is dying or picking up and much much more.

5. Keep in mind I will be involved with the local skate scene. I will be at contests, I will be handing out stickers, water, holding contests....

6. I will plan to get a store if the shop grows

Reasons why this is a bad idea:

1. They can order from another place.
2. They wont have a place to hang out

b]

Guess I should answer your numbers ....

1. So you are going to deliver to the locals? By hand or mail?

2. This is a GREAT idea. But you should try to do as much stuff like this as you can. Show the scene that you care.

3. You should be doing this anyway ... with an online or brick shop.

4. Same as #3.

5. Just don't ... I repeat DON'T whore yourself at other shops contests. BAD BAD thing to do and it will piss off locals. We had a shop do this at a fundraiser for a skatepark. They never even talked to us about doing it. I thought it was really shitty to whore yourself out at an event you have nothing to do with.

6. Do it. Why not. I'd do it again, even knowing what I know now.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
MileHighSkates
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
You can make a million bucks doing this.

Just start with two million...
Herosk8
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
okay heres my input,

First off, im hoping you are a skater and know the skate world?

okay with that said, here we go.

1. As long as your products are still the same name brands but at cheaper prices, then you shouldnt have a problem. but the kids need to see what you carry and know that your trust worthy.

2. The best way to be involved is be at the skatepark hanging with the kids. the water idea is a great one. i have done it before. i have also given rides to kids that have needed one.

3. Relationships, most definatly the most important thing to remember and have with the kids. the kids need to know that they can trust you and rely on you and your not just some fly by night person trying to capitalize on the growing skate market. another important idea is, there is nothing better than going into a skate shop and not having enough money for things and the shop owner giving you a deal. this is a way to build lasting loyal customers. you cant do it all the time but you can always have them mow your yard, sweep the store, take the trash out and stuff like that

4. i like the idea you had about the space in your aunts store, will you still do that? it would be a great idea to have a place for the kids to congregate and hang out. watch videos and have snacks and pop, energy drinks to buy. at least they will be spending money! ( I can get you hooked up with a clothing company if you would like. just pm me for that info.)

5. once you get started at your aunts place, does it have a parking lot or an alley thats paved? if it does for a kick off party throw a game of skate comp and have a team come for a demo. (i also know one of those too, you can contact me for that as well.)

6. The store front will come, but refer to 4 and 5

It will work and succeed, if you dont plan on getting rich but plan on just making a little bit of money, you dont have to mark up your products like most shops do. just a thought.

Josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scuzzo84
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
thanks everyone I will keep yall updated

And yes, I do skate, and I am really passionate about this, and I have faith that I can build up a bunch of loyal customers because I want to give back a lot while trying to do my business
kirksucks
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i run an online skate board store now (via boardpusher) and i've found that my biggest downfall is that i dont have a storefront, or a place to show my product.

kids like to see touch and smell the decks before they buy them. thats been my experience.

i was at a local shop where a kid had just bought a new Krooked deck. a few minutes later he and his friends recognized the deck i was riding (one of my own designs) and started asking about my decks.

now, if i had actual product in the store they could touch and buy, i think i might have had a chance to get a sale that day.

but its a boardpusher shop and isnt cost effective to order in bulk. its an online store and i'm not selling as many as i could be.

Page 1 of 1