SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Make skate trucks.
Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Make skate trucks.

Dan
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Hi
I have find a foundry that will made for me trucks,I know that is 356 alu. + magnezium, I prepare the molds from one of major,soon I post here more news about it.
BUt I have Request for you I need every pictures and photo with the process witch you have. PM me if one of you have it. Thanks from top.
-Dan
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I helped make a pair of Thunder trucks in freshmen year in highschool, they were pure aluminum (not recommended and just to see if it could be done) and was just a exercise, they came out alright for a 14 year old and not knowing what he was doing. The Sand casting process was so fun back then. If you have genuine ideas and understand metallurgy, you can do a ton of stuff via sand casting...
Dan
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hey guys does enybody have some info? I wrote on this forum to talk with manufactures like name of forum. Are you profesionalis or not.
skinny
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Dan....
Sand casting takes some pretty serious equipment...
you must have a machine for making your foam blanks (c.n.c. multi tool mill)
Foam for milling...
Sand mixer, Sand compactor ( vibratory)
aluminum box molds with clasp style hatches
black casting sand mix

Then you'll need a smelter, or a kiln.
aluminum and magnisium ingotts ( raw material)
ceramic smelting bucket (or maybe bottle?)
gloves, goggles, tongs,and some serious balls to be fucking around with molten aluminum.

Start by loading your mill with foam blocks. Next mill a row of hangers, connecting them with material so they flow correctly.
Then baseplates. Once the blanks are done, place them in your sand compactor and load your box mold with sand, vibrate the sand.
(check the moisture in the sand, or it will not compact.)
Now that you have a compacted box, heat your ingotts to liquid (molten) temps. Grab your glove, tongs, and fill the sand box/ mold.
As the molten metal enters the mold, the foam will melt allowing the metal to take its place in the compacted sand mold. The metal will flow from each end until the entire casting is full of liquid metal.

Allow proper cool time.
Next, unclasp the box mold, and reclaim yor sand. You should have a perfect casting of your new trucks.

Good luck on your truck making venture, I could not afford such things, myself.
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan wrote:
Hey guys does enybody have some info? I wrote on this forum to talk with manufactures like name of forum. Are you profesionalis or not.

As an outsider looking in I think you're going to be hard pressed for a truck manufacturer to williing post extensive pictures of their process for you to reverse engineer...come-on dude!
Dan
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks alot skinny your are realy cool guy. I found company that sand casting so they have all equipments,I know that is hard part of bread but its proper,couse I doing my job over few good years to make skateboards parts. I will show on forum few pictures when its be done.
Cappy
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
You need damn good axls, thats the big point. If you have them, the rest should be easy.
I once saw some tutorals on the net from bikers, they did melt old cylinder heads and casted things for their bikes. Even anodized! You might google for them.
You might do some research in technology and materials, could be helpfull for the trucks you want to make (just cruising or shreding/grinding).

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yop Cappy old russian cylinder from rusian motorbikes is a good idea + magnezium
Machinesound
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
skinny wrote:
Dan....
Sand casting takes some pretty serious equipment...
you must have a machine for making your foam blanks (c.n.c. multi tool mill)
Foam for milling...
Sand mixer, Sand compactor ( vibratory)
aluminum box molds with clasp style hatches
black casting sand mix

Then you'll need a smelter, or a kiln.
aluminum and magnisium ingotts ( raw material)
ceramic smelting bucket (or maybe bottle?)
gloves, goggles, tongs,and some serious balls to be fucking around with molten aluminum.

Start by loading your mill with foam blocks. Next mill a row of hangers, connecting them with material so they flow correctly.
Then baseplates. Once the blanks are done, place them in your sand compactor and load your box mold with sand, vibrate the sand.
(check the moisture in the sand, or it will not compact.)
Now that you have a compacted box, heat your ingotts to liquid (molten) temps. Grab your glove, tongs, and fill the sand box/ mold.
As the molten metal enters the mold, the foam will melt allowing the metal to take its place in the compacted sand mold. The metal will flow from each end until the entire casting is full of liquid metal.

Allow proper cool time.
Next, unclasp the box mold, and reclaim yor sand. You should have a perfect casting of your new trucks.

Good luck on your truck making venture, I could not afford such things, myself.

That's not even half of it....
Before you start casting, you need a design that is going to work.
Then you need a pattern matching design/blue print.
The pattern has to allow for 2% shrinkage of the alloys upon cooling (making a direct copy of an existing truck will make a shrunken truck)...
Once you have a casting it needs to be finished and machined using belt sanders, mills, drill presses etc. You will need to engineer and install good axles. You need to fabricate fixtures with proper alignment for producing the relationships between the critical points of motion. If any part of the machining process is off, you have a truck that has NG geometry, or you've just cast, machined, finished some junk.
Not a task for the impatient.
TAOS
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Dan, are you really from the USA?

Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next