SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  has anyone tried this?
Page 1 of 1    

has anyone tried this?

sinart
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:54 pm Reply with quote
i recently tried another form of printing that makes everthing really easy (for between the trucks only). a company called riso makes a thermal screen/mesh. it requires a lot less chemicals and steps than a traditional screen. here's what it entails:
1. you use your original black & white art and make a photocopy of it (the more contrast the better). this makes a "carbon copy" (from the toner in the copier).
2. you take the photocopy and put it under a piece of the mesh, artwork facing the bottom of the sheet of mesh.
3. you run both sheets (art & mesh) with a carrier (a thin piece of cardboard) through a thermal copier (the machines they used to make "dittos", you know those worksheets/tests your teacher gave you that were blue ink and kinda smelled funny). this is the only catch printing with this method - you need access to a thermal copier (they can be found on e-bay sometimes for $200-$400, or refurbished for $700-$900). the thermal copier cuts the mesh wherever the carbon from the photocopy touches it, eliminating the need to burn the image, or cut it out manually.
4. you then take the sheet of cut mesh, which is pre-tensioned, and insert and tape it into one of their pre-made frames. you're ready to print.
the beautiful part of this process is that the frames they make are fairly thin plastic that can be easily bent to the concave without the screen wrinkling (for direct contact). also note that you have to get the 135 mesh, NOT the 70. the 135 works with water or non-waterbased inks, for hard or glossy surfaces. the 70 only works with waterbased inks and is too loose for anything but t-shirts. if anyone else has used this process, let me know...i'd be interested to see how yours turned out.
mnewell
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My sister actually has the gocco printer they make.. It used for 4x6 cards and was considering trying it out on a deck.

Here is the kit she has..

http://www.gocco.com/prod.HTM

The image would be small, but I was curious to see how it would come out..

Matt
sinart
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
actually, with the gocco, you can burn it in sections if the art is bigger than 4x6. it's kind of a bitch, but it works. good luck if you try it...the cool thing with the thermal copier is that it works on a belt that feeds through the machine, so if you buy the mesh in rolls instead of sheets, you can actually make a screen for tip to tail printing (if you make your own frame).
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know how much that gocco machine costs? (Both sizes) I don't see any prices on the site, I'm just curious....
mnewell
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even think about doing multiple burns and pasting them together.. Great idea..

The Gocco machine my sister has I think was about $100+.. It's pretty steep.. That doesn't include all the other crap that you need to go along with it which adds up quickly.. The kit for larger sized screens is exponentially more expensive, if I remember correctly.. Let's just say a lot more money...

Here is the small kit on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...6038&category=121

[ This Message was edited by: mnewell on 2003-04-26 14:55 ]
sinart
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:04 am Reply with quote
you don't have to use multiple mesh sheets to paste together; just use one sheet with your art attached, and move the one sheet around under the gocco in sections to burn one complete image on the sheet, dig?
ohio
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:11 am Reply with quote
mail order brides from russia?
mnewell
Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks sinart.. That makes more sense.. I have a blank deck on the way.. Maybe I'll give it a try..

Page 1 of 1