SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Old bearings questions
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Old bearings questions

SkaterBonds
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
gogomouse1 wrote:
clean up the Sims and put them up on ebay, there's always a demand for those.

Ditto.

Dudes use them for vintage completes. Sell them or hang onto them. Those are moderately collectable.

Skate the NMB's.
slob-air
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Soulcrusher wrote:
I don't know about taking them apart, but my buddy squirts a little WD-40 in them, then soaks them in power steering fluid for a week. Renews them like they're brand new.

DO NOT USE WD-40 !!!

Surfactants and penetrants in WD-40 can hurt the �wet ability� of the steel, not allowing oil and grease to stick to the surface of the steel properly.

WD-40 Ingrediants
solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic 60%
petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe) 15-25%
corrosion inhibitor unregulated 10%
wetting agent unregulated 10%
fragrance unregulated 1%
carbon dioxide 2-3%

You do not want any of that on your bearings!!

NMB have always been among the best skate bearings.

Sims racing bearings are grease packed�clean the grease out and replace with Rocket Propellant or Speed Cream. I've done this, and they still don't compete with Rockets, Ballistech Missiles or Powell Swiss.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips thus far!

I should have pointed out that all the bearings have shields on both sides, and all spin freely at the moment. I'm used to the modern one side sealed bearings viz. cleaning, but with the oldies, well back in the day bearings were just things that sat in the middle of your wheels and maybe got a squirt of WD40!

Mosu, Vick Ford's brings back some flashbacks! I got my first brand name deck from there (a secondhand G&S Warptail that you may remember! Dragged it over to Manly Skate City a few times - and saw your fine attempts at the RadaBeef!)

Looks like I'll be giving the Sims a soak in metho, then drip some oil into them as best I can. I don't trust myself to remove the shields without blood loss. Not that I'm mechanically inept, rather I know I have a habit of stabbing myself in situations like this!

The Nachis are on the board I'm thinking of letting go, so they can stay there. Looks like I'll keep he NMBs and the Sims.

Out of sheer matter of interest, what sort of bucks would a set of Sims bearings go for? Its not that they aren't for sale - its just that the price has yet to be established!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, and in reply to Slob's advice, I gave up the WD40 years ago.

As for soaking in brake fluid - not a good idea as brake fluid is hygroscopic (it attracts water) and is thus no good for the bearings.

Actually, back in the day I also used to pack bearings with single sided shields with Vaseline. Worked OK at the time, but again, I'm not likely to do that now.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Brake fluid is a form of glycol and will actually corrode plastic and can expidite corrosion on metal.

The one thing that is nice about brake fluid is that it cleans up with water.

I use synthetic silicone brake fluid in all of my cars that get a once over on the brake system (dissasembled, lines cleaned, parts replaced, etc.) It has better reaction properties, it doesn't corrode seals, it doesn't damage paint and it doesn't break down in heat, which means that there will be little to no air trapped in the lines and cylinders. It also repels water, from condensation, so you are less likely to get water in your brake lines over time, which can evaporate if it gets hot, near or in the calipers and drum cylinders, creating air/gas pockets in the lines.

However, it's also $75 per gallon.
yoyo
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Cappy wrote:
mosu101 wrote:
and some that I suspect are the fabled Sims Racing Gold Seals. Well, they have 'Sims Racing Germany' on them and the shields are a gold colour.

The Sims Gold Bearings were made by SKF. I would keep them and sell the complete with the common nmb�s.

mosu101 wrote:

some bearings were never manufactured to be cleaned and the shield was pressure stamped into place.

You can open one side, clean them, lube them, then put the open side, inside the wheel.

The SIMS Gold bearings were made by GMN Germany as far as I remember, not SKF. Take a look at some old SIMS ad in Skateboarder....
Back in 1991 I bought a BRAND NEW set at Dave's Skateshop in Ventura (it's closed now) and they went into a set of NOS SIMS Bowl Riders!!
I think it's impossible to take off these cripmped shields without destroying them.

In my quiver I have some old NTN's with replaceable seals; great to clean and relube.

Also SW bearings have a replaceable shield that is held by a C-clip.

NMBs are holding up really well for a long time!
I have some old ones and they still spin freely and quiet.
mosu101
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quote
Cappy,
your first quote was from BondiBoy66.

Must admit hadnt thought to run very old bearings with just one shield, its a great suggestion. only problem for me is that im over the old school metal cage around the bearing and much prefer the new school nylon derivative cradle design (as used by Ron,bones and black panthers to name a few.)

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
Fixed the quote, thx!

I have to say, i don�t remember the difference between old and new bearings.
I only roll on Ron�s in these days.

I have a setup with old ones, but this are my ones from over 15 years ago - this is just for memories and i don�t really want to skate them anymore. Any other bearing i have or get (most with completes from ebay), i open them, clean them roughly and then i give them a drop of drive shaft grease. Then they go in my rain commuter and stay there untill they fall apart.

With 70mm wheels i don�t notice the grease and till they make the "krrz krrz" sound, they are fast enough for me rollin through the rain on the sidewalk. My recycling method for crap bearings.

However, some shields must be destroyed to open them, others have a ring, when you remove it, the shield should come off easy.

(sry. for the crap pic)

@yoyo
Are sure about GMN? I always thought it was SKF, that were pushing it with skateboarding. Actually there are even some decks from their german promotion tour on ebay. Thought they planned it, then skipped the idea. But don�t want to argue.
You do know this time better and are probably right!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
@Cappy
Yes, SKF was involved in skateboarding and they still are, with bearings. Remember SKF trucks and aluminum decks??

This guy on ebay had an auction of 143 of these decks before with a starting bid of 199�, but they were too many for me.
A good friend of mine got me 12 of these as seconds for free. Most of them don't look too bad. Maybe gotta put one together for riding...they are solid wood and weight a ton, but won't break!

SKF trucks, in the background the orange wheels

Cappy
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
Yeah, i remember those aluminum decks. The better "banana" boards. Although a skateboard was not really interesting for me, just to put the knee on it and push around with them. I had more fun with wooden a scooter at that time. Today there are aluminum scooters and i ride wooden skateboards, uhm??

I bought one of these decks, wonder how it will look. If it�s not to bad (30years?) i ride it too, just for shit's and giggles.

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next