SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  can't figure it out... looking for a board
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

can't figure it out... looking for a board

drizzle
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
for a while i've been looking at the whole small board-small trucks- obscenely wide wheels thing... something I could bomb big steep hills with, without fear of speed wobbles...but i'm a cheap bastard.

I wanted something like a G&S slalom re-issue... but those are way too expensive, and i don't like the idea of riding on a toothpick. i thought of maybe an alva or dogtown, but i want a longer wheelbase.

I think i'm pretty set on bennetts

and i've taken a liking to those huuuuge BDS single conical wheels. maybe alligators, i'm not too sure at this moment.

help me out?
Rob_B
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l...detail&p=5926

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l...detail&p=5925

Might want to check out Tailtap.com and Milehighskates.com too.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
drizzle wrote:
for a while i've been looking at the whole small board-small trucks- obscenely wide wheels thing... something I could bomb big steep hills with, without fear of speed wobbles...

For what it's worth, most people consider wide trucks and longer wheelbases to be too methods of keeping speed wobble potential down. Can you skate big hills with bennetts and a small deck? Maybe you can. I know I'm not comfortable on my slalom board at anything over 25mph. It's just too responsive and twitchy - it needs to be in a turn at all times.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Slim wrote:
drizzle wrote:
for a while i've been looking at the whole small board-small trucks- obscenely wide wheels thing... something I could bomb big steep hills with, without fear of speed wobbles...

For what it's worth, most people consider wide trucks and longer wheelbases to be too methods of keeping speed wobble potential down. Can you skate big hills with bennetts and a small deck? Maybe you can. I know I'm not comfortable on my slalom board at anything over 25mph. It's just too responsive and twitchy - it needs to be in a turn at all times.

I know what you mean, but i just can't stand riding big 40 inch tanks. I like the thrill of speeding at 30 down a hill on a small board. the ones that rob posted are nice, but, as i said, thats a damn tank.

I dunno, but every time see an old 70's turner deck, I can't help but think... "damn, I'd like to skate one of those real fast"

and even if it's unstable at speeds, there's always s-turns.
Rob_B
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Try one of those Santa Cruz reissues with the OJs. I thic Pacific Hessian has one that he's digging.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
. .

Last edited by SteelWheeler on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mig
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
drizzle, looks like a giant slalom board would fit your needs. If it's setup properly using standard trucks it can take you up to 30 without a problem, if your used to those speeds. I've taken mine into the lower 40's during the GS race at the World Slalom Championships without wobbles, but on racing trucks. A guy I sponsor got to the same speeds using a Bennett on the front.

This was the hill used for that race, just to give you an idea of how stable a giant slalom setup can be:

Alligator wheels would be perfect. But as far as trucks go, I would suggest a Bennett 5.0 has a front truck and a Tracker RTS 129 has a rear truck. Wedge the front and dewedge the rear. This truck mix, width, and wedge combo will not only stabilize your board at speeds, compared to using Bennetts 4.3's mounted flat front and back, but will also add traction to the rear when turning.

You have several choices as far as GS boards go. Pretty much all the slalom board manus offer at least one. Look for something in the 9" wide range, 33" to 36" long, and wheelbase between 20" and 23".

Here's what my own company offers in that range:

Fullbag Classic GS:

35.25" x 9.125", Wheelbases 21.5" - 22" - 22.5" - 23"

Fullbag Red Baron:
Slightly wider at the front truck and wider tail than the GS. This one shouldn't feel like a toothpick...

33.5" x 9.125", Wheelbases 20" - 20.5" - 21" - 21.5"

poopants
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote

tasty idea

Nick Peretti
New Jack City
jacbli76
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
poopants likes tasting a fullbag

poopants
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Nick Peretti