SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  What's your worst/scariest downhill experience?
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

What's your worst/scariest downhill experience?

TuUrBoOo
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Everyone has to have some to share! I'll start off.

I was skating with Mike from Local 124 in Riverdale (a hotspot in Edmonton). This was maybe my 2nd time stepping onto my Evo, so I was still feeling things out. Anyways, we were starting off into a blind right 90 degree turn and I went for it. As soon as I break into my drift to take the corner, a van is DRIVING UP the hill! I begin to slide out sideways as much as possible before I know it, I smoked the van clean and my Evo was eating some curb. I was on my back looking up at the sky and soon realized the situation, I jumped up assured the lady that everything was alright. As soon as she drove away, I just sat out for a bit. I wasn't hurt, my helmet had a few warrior scars, but wow, my heart was at my throat for that one.
poopants
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I was coming down a short hill that I usually slide on because it is about 45 degrees and ends in a parking lot, I decided to bomb it and just plain could not make the turn around and slid into one of those yellow painted car stop posts (hard) broke 3 ribs on my left side. fuck

Nick Peretti
New Jack City
DTAskater
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 821 Location: Groton, Connecticutz, U.S.A.
i hit a parked car.

PlayGod
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I made a lot of street pizza in the 70's, so I am way conservative now on the DH stuff. I tend to avoid roads with traffic.

There is this one nice 1/2 mile smooth asphalt hill that is 35mph+ and nice for carving or bombing. It's on a road around a reservoir, so there is virtually no traffic. Well, I'm bombing down it one day and I come around a turn where the hill gets pretty steep and there are 2 drivers parked side by side in the middle of the road talking to each other. FUuuuuccccckkkk! I start looking for the best place to bail out at 35mph. Luckily they either see me or end the conversation and drive on, and I pass the van going down the hill like it is standing still. The heart was really doing a drum roll after that deal.

BTW, I skate padless/helmetless on that hill.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
Bombing 124 Ave SW with open ball bearing '70s fibreglass skate I lost my bearings all over the road. I soon joined them.

In Camrose I raced a bike down hospital hill. '70s Sims woodkick with California Slalom Trucks and Kyrptonics 65s. Speed Wobbles 3/4 of the way down, held on a launched across the finish line ahead of the bike.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Back in the 70's, we'd see how fast we could go and not get speed wobbles.....

Being pulled by a car, I did over 80+ ( speedometer reading) on a Sims 44" with tight Tracker Fulls and red Kryptos 70mm...

even with some speedometer error, it was well over 75 mph.

it was best to do it with a station wagon with a roofrack.... you'd hold onto the rack- if you got wobbles or some other problem, you'd just pull yourself off the board.
AK47SANDUZIS
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
i have visited accident and emergency units on 4 continents racing skateboards and my worst experience by far was meeting chris chaput.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
AK47SANDUZIS wrote:
my worst experience by far was meeting chris chaput.

I just spit soda out my nose!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Phuctard Joined: 08 May 2008 Posts: 157
I Ate total shit today! Hamburgered my knee and hip BAD LOTS OF LITTLE ROCKS AND SHIT AND MORE SHIT AND SOME ROCKS and SHIT

We skate what is a rural hiking road but it gets some traffic so we have a tow vehicle and it blocks the road at the bottom of the hill.
The car parks sideways and then pulls away at the last minute preventing anyone from going up the hill. Keeping assholes from coming straight at us and allowing run off room which is needed.

Long story short we had a new skater with us today and the son of a bitch is kind of timid, second run halfway down theres a fucking mini van! coming right for us every body scatters into ditches eating shit and running off into them. We get to the bottom and explain to the new guy AGAIN NO FUCKING CARS GET PAST FOR NO REASON NO EXCUSES SOMEONE COULD GET HURT. He said," I asked them really nice to stop"! I am like look buddy don't ask them shit BLOCK THE ROAD WITH THE FUCKING CAR SIDEWAYS act like you can't drive a stick and just Austin Powers it till you see us or simply tell them HEY my friends are coming down that hill in the next minute watch its going to be cool.

A couple of runs go by and its the new guys turn to drive again, So we send him down after telling again NO CARS NO EXCUSES!

We come down really pushing it this time and sure as fuck at the bottom of the hill leaving NO ROOM FOR FOOT DRAGS SLIDES OR RUNNING OFF! is the fucking newguy! The little MotherFucker is parked talking to some friends who are also parked the two cars taking up the whole road only they are facing us not sideways so there is no pulling out of the way!

Fucked and still doing twenty maybe more and knowing the rough pavement at the bottom will not slide. I try to stick a footdrag and panic and then go for the run off get three good steps in and then well like I said I ate Shit.

Mad as hell and cussing I really wanted to hurt the new guy and his friends in a display of violence and profanity of eppic proportions complete but not limited to choking biting and closed fists to the foreheads. Maybe fucking up their car with my Blackhart deck I was really mad. It would of been one of my best tantrums ever.

Thing is the new guy is a popsicle kid and I was stoked to get him out riding and he is young and I did not want to ruin it for him and make it so he wouldn't want to ride with us.

So I bit my tongue held back my rage laughed it off and went home to scrub and pick rocks out of my hip and knee

Gotta pay to play so I am not holding any grudges I just needed to vent I got to go back to peroxiding this shit out of me

carroll13
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
I mentioned it in my introductory post, but I'll try to remember more detail here(mind you, this was 22 years ago).

I'd bought a home made Lance Mountain shaped deck from some guy at school, and attached some trucks and wheels(from my Valterra, IIRC) to it before going to California. While visiting my grandparents in Valley Center, I decided to bomb the hill at the end of their driveway.

I was having a great time, and going fast as fuck, carving a bit, when the board suddenly started carving very sharply on its own.
I'd heard of speed wobbles before then, but I never actually experienced them....
WHAM!
SCREEEEEECH!
...the screech being my arm, my leg, and a big wide part of my left hip..

It hasn't kept me off hills, but I'm probably the most boring hill bomber ever to watch, and I probably look like a kook with the number of slides I do sometimes....and either way, I still have fun.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next