SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  consignment
Page 1 of 1    

consignment

Ren
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi. My first post. I'm planning to go to skate shops and ask if they'd like to carry my boards on consignment. I'm worried that the owner(s) won't be there when I visit and am thinking of leaving a note. Are there certain days or times to visit so I can let them see and touch my sample boards?

I've also read here that going to skateparks would be another way of getting my brand known as well as consign online with other sites. It would be a matter of just starting out small at first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
brianzig
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
OK, as a shop owner I can tell you, and I probably speak for the rest out there...don't show up unannounced. It works best for me when reps call and let me know ahead of time that they are coming. I block the time, make sure I'm there and get an employee to cover the sales floor. All these plans make sure that you don't waste my time and I don't waste yours. Works out for both of us. Coming by the shop when I'm not there just wastes your time.

Now, there are times when you might just be passing through or something. It's not a problem, but it's nice when you can at least give a heads up with a call saying you are in the area and want to pop in for a quick visit to show me some new stuff. You might have to wait for customers to clear out first if I don't have someone to watch the floor.

As far as consignment...I've not done it. We rep a lot of local startup companies and try to carry at least one or two boards from them at all times. Give me a great price and deliver (drop off) the boards for free and I'll just buy them outright. All of our local boards sell about $10 less than brand names, but we usually put them together as price point completes (that's why I like to own them outright).

Oh yeah...times. Anytime before school lets out. After that you are screwed. There is too much going on.
jimmy
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
if your selling your boards in a shop dont go to the local park and try and sell them to kids at retailprices

also offering up a localhero deal to the shop's will help you fastening up this process of getting known

i personaly give almost any brand a chance but ive theire's no demand after the first delivery theire wont be a second one

plus making stickers to give along with the boards
doesent hurt either

well that's how we do it over here any way
just my 2 cents
Ren
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
All of these are really great feedback and I appreciate it very much!

When a sales rep. makes a deal with you, does the rep. have the stock quantity of boards available right there at the store when he/she visits? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I would guess yes because one would always want to be ready when making these appointments with the skate shop owner and make that sale?

I'm asking because my oem supplier takes weeks to manufacture the boards after you make your order. Plus there are minimums and single design requirements to consider. Perhaps I'm thinking way too ahead and should stick to thinking small at first ...

Thanks.
brianzig
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
The local guys that I buy from all have inventory in hand when the come by to visit.

Quote:
I'm asking because my oem supplier takes weeks to manufacture the boards after you make your order. Plus there are minimums and single design requirements to consider. Perhaps I'm thinking way too ahead and should stick to thinking small at first ...

Yeah, you're right on all accounts. Finding the manufacturer right for you, as well as figuring out how much to buy, what kind to buy, and choosing the graphics would be my first priorities. Along with figuring out pricing to be competitive. None of which are small decisions.

Get important stuff finished, get boards in hand, and then worry about how to contact and sell to shops. Get those ducks in a row.
DomitianX
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Absolutely call ahead of time. I hate it when dudes walk into the shop with a box of boards like a vacuum cleaner salesman wanting you buy off them right up front with no warning.

Hook up a local hero. That a super quick way to get the name out there.

Do demos at the local parks.

Dont sell out of your trunk in the parking lot at the shop.

krayola
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Feb 2007 Posts: 15449 Location: R'lyeh 47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717
DomitianX wrote:
Absolutely call ahead of time. I hate it when dudes walk into the shop with a box of boards like a vacuum cleaner salesman wanting you buy off them right up front with no warning.

Hook up a local hero. That a super quick way to get the name out there.

Do demos at the local parks.

Dont sell out of your trunk in the parking lot at the shop.

These are all exact and on the money.

As a guy paying my dues I agree and yet disagree to showing up unannounced.

Frequent a shop, chat up the owner. Buy something and not just to get in with the shop owner or manager. If you got local kids skating your boards and your doing the no-no of selling out of your trunk, send the kids to the shop to get grip.

Always have in your trunk, samples, pristine of your boards. Have a flyer in color that says model name, sizes available with an email and or fax number to send in an order to drop off.

Do not give terms, cash and carry or check. If paying cash knock a few bucks off. If paying check full price.

And most importantly, send your traffic to your local shop. Do not become accessible buy selling out of your home or flowing your friends. As much as it sucks not greasing palms, if your friends support what your doing then they can support paying what your wholesale is, or go to a shop and show support. If you have to give away boards to connivence the masses, you going to fail.

Your product should only be given, though I don't recommend it to convience a shop manager of the quality of your product.

As well your OEM wood shop should provide a brief list of who they make boards for. If they don't find another wood shop. An OEM that practices exclusivity makes inconsistent boards and they don't want you to know who has there wood in fear of you finding out the wood is shit.

Since I was first to a wood shop since then half of Venice and Santa Monica followed me, LITERALLY followed me in traffic and wore down my contact that gave me the info in the first place.

That is one of my selling points, "Company X, and Company Y use my wood." Not the other way around. I was first, they followed and that impresses people because it's the truth.

Be a trail blazer and be patient but let your art and your wood and the kids that skate it locally tell the story. You just show your boards and answer whatever question you can.

EuroSVT
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
We have a local start up company (Citrustree boardriding) and they hooked my shop up with a good stock of their boards. They are selling very well due to being some very nice wood as well as each deck has a shirt included in the shrink which I thought was cool.

As far as how to approach the shop owner, times, etc., I totally agree with what was posted already.

Good luck with your boards!

Page 1 of 1