SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Is it slow or is it me?
Page 1 of 5    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is it slow or is it me?

notus
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 90 Location: North Augusta South Carolina
Has this month been slow? We moved our shop to a bigger and nicer location and it seems as though the bottom has fallen out. I know it is still pretty soon after Christmas and all and the weather has not been real plesant but it seems like we have fallen of the face of the earth.
I may have to do some selling on the bay but I am worried the distributors will cut me off if I do that. Anyone had distributors give them crap over selling on the bay, Just curious?
Does anyone know of a place other than the bay to off some popsicles, trucks and wheels? I really stocked up for the move and now I am getting tired of watching this stuff just sit there.
Anybody want some deals (cost) on this stuff pm me.
PlayGod
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Sell all the '07 stuff you can on eBay. Nobody should give you crap about unloading old stock.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
No, it's not just you. The bottom dropped out on us as well. We are WAY down. Down almost 5K in January alone! February is tracking way behind last year as well. It's actually scary how slow it is. The problem I have is that we haven't been open quite two years yet and don't have a very big safety net left. This slowdown has almost wiped it out.

We've been doing some eBay, but it's been slow as well. I wish I had some good advice on this, but I'm stumped.

I've been checking around with other shops, vendors, and reps. Seems to be the same story all over my area. Everyone's hurting. Scary.
notus
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Brian I was going to pm you about this but I thought out in the open would give a better feel of what's going on all over. It's not product I have some really nice items. I'm not sure what to do I actually feel guilty about putting this stuff on the bay because everyone agrees selling there hurts us shop owners but what else can you do? I've advertised price point foundation decks for $45.00 gripped and they still arent beating the door down like they did in the fall.
vaskateboards
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
try to advertise a big sale in the local newspaper / craigslist / flyer

Go to your local skatepark and sell shit there for a good price with extra goodies

free sodas / beer / hot dogs

whatever it takes
stoney66
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
notus - where's you shop?
I'm in Columbia - shits been slow here as well.
falba70
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
slow here in charleston as well

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey notus,
I forgot you were in the SC region as well. Stoney66 and falba confirms what everyone else seems to be saying...most everyone in our region seems to be hurting.

I used our down time and spent the last few months building our online store then networked with our vendors at Surf Expo to get everyone's (almost) support for it. It's still in the infancy stages and not doing much for us yet, but I'm working on it. Thanks Playgod

All online sales hurt the brick and mortar shops. But they aren't going anywhere. As far as eBay and pissing off vendors...I wouldn't worry too much about it. The way I look at it, I'd better be doing whatever it takes to keep the cash flow moving. If I don't have money coming in, I'm not buying new stuff from them. I was listing about 20-40 items a week. Not all sells mind you. And with the new fees coming in place, I don't know if I'll be doing as much in the future. I always start with things in the shop that have been on the racks forever. People here have seen them a million times and want something new. Yes, we have a clearance rack with everything right at or in some cases below cost. If it still hasn't sold, eBay it goes. I tend to stay away from listing hardgoods because the margins on eBay are cutthroat. I do list them, but unless you are willing to take a loss or get cost it's not worth it in my opinion. I do better just blowing them out here in the shop. Softgoods and shoes that I'm trying to get rid of seem to sell best. Mostly because we start them cheap and take whatever we can get. Would I much rather sell them in the store? Heck yeah. But when it's slow like this they are just sitting there. Mocking me. lol

I don't know. Maybe tax checks will be bringing putting them in the spending mood.
notus
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've thought about going online and it's still an option I just wish there was an outlet like this site or silverfish where I could cater to the street skaters without dealing with the ebay fees and crap like that. Now when it comes to rotating stock that has proven to be a must even if we just rearrange the decks and trucks. Sometimes you walk in and it looks so stale so you move it around and the next guy in say's "wow I didn't know you had this". What really kills me is I will have fresh product in and turn it out about 1-2 months before the CCS mag hits the mail and I have kids coming in looking for old product that the dist's have all sold out to CCS. One case right now is the Almost impact series I had the old ones last spring and summer and moved them well, the "saints" series is out and I have people looking for the old series! I hate to and will not speculate on which decks to stockpile. My thinking is having the new hot shiz when you see it and let everybody else play catchup with the 99.00 completes.
Don't get me wrong I will sell $99.00 completes all day long if the market was there.

Chip
notus
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
While I'm on a roll how about you falba and myself start a bargain basement thread somewhere and move some items?
Who's got the best shipping method for decks figured out?

Page 1 of 5    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next