SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Is it slow or is it me?
Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is it slow or is it me?

TABLASFOREVER
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Amen

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
We're at the bottom of the cycle where the weak and overextended get flung from the wheel. It's all up hill from here�those thta make the climb will reap the winnings in time.

sometimes the weak are the most dedicated skateboarders in the business and the people that have the power to climb are the one's with the money to drive up hill.just because wack sun is getting out of the shoes doesnt meen the industry leaders wont just sell to the next wack sun in line.some of us are weak because our passion has been whored out before our eye's.try running a skate shop for 10 years and see how weak you get.
flash
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
i think things are slow because prices are too high.
i've been going to some of the shops around me and the prices of hardgoods is retarded. i know shops gotta make the rent but why jack up prices on hardgoods when thats the one thing that keeps everyone skating?
if anything they should be pushing softgoods since thats where all the money is and keep the hardgoods at a more reasonable price for the kids. we were all young once too and saving up $65 for a board is a bit much, i mean we had a hard enough time saving $50, imagine saving $65 now when were on the verge of a recession. parents aren't going to part with their money like they did when times were good.

my philosophy has always been sell it for less and sell a lot more of it.
Cappy
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
High prices are good. About time to set the level higher, that those who care for skateboarding, make some money. Plus can invest to make better products.

The run for cheaper costs is always doomed. The rest of the World never paid so less as in the USA. And? Did they stop skateboarding or only skate Wal-Mart boards? No! If they want it, they will pay for it! $50 you are kidding? I paid three times that much already 20 years ago only for a deck! No wonder you guys are in recession. Man Up and start to make the people pay.

The philosophy sell it for less and sell a lot more of it should only for skateboarders, equal it with with the sells for the posers (softgoods and that shoeshit)! For them it should be either buy or fuck off!

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
I agree with you both flash and cappy.

Cappy- I would love to get more for our decks, but you would have to get everyone on board and willing to change at the same time. And there will always be that person that wants to be just a bit cheaper and down goes the price. Americans are conditioned to shop by price. The box of cheap prices has been opened and there's no going back now. Not without some killer new product design or materials to differentiate one pop from another.

flash - your shops "should" be offering a better price selection. There are plenty of ways to get price point decks in the shop that can retail for $30-$40 and still provide a decent markup. We have a great relationship with local bro board companies that will deliver (saves shipping) and provide a great direct price (cuts out the middle). That's just one way, there are a bunch of other alternatives. Unless those shops have no competition whatsoever, they won't last long with $65 decks. And by no competition I mean no other shops in 50 miles, no crappy sporting good stores with boards, and zero internet access.
jkelly
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Aug 2003 Posts: 7129 Location: Wild in the streets
I heard Pacsun dropped Vans out here in CT....so now the vans reps are sniffing around the real shops trying to buddy up again. they are pretty much fucked out here... give TJmax a call

Jay

[quote="tioem"]The closest some guys get to pussy is being one.
I'm not talking about any of you queers. [/quote]
jkelly
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Its tough making a living doing what you love..the down side is that it can leave such a bad taste in your mouth that you begin to hate it.

I went through it around 96 with snowboarding. I started riding in 86 and it comsumed my life..around 92 I moved to VT to eat sleep and live snowboarding..it was great for years working the summers on a orchard in brattleboro to save money to be able to work as little as possible in the winter.. tuning snowboards a few days a week for my pass and riding everyday. 95 rolls around and I start to rep for 686 and D23.....DREAM JOB RIGHT.............I was so fucking wrong, no sales unless at the time you were repping for the handfull of moneymaking giants. It was bitter, guys you thought were friends at the head offices trying to screw you out of commisions from old accounts..brutal.

I walked away from snowboarding and have been out only a handfull of times since then...

Do it for the love of it, but dont let it ruin what you love...its tough to get that feeling back once its gone.( I dont even know if this makes sense..it does in my head but it seems like some "STAYGOLD PONYBOY SHIT" I guess what Im saying is get the fuck out before it ruins skateboarding for you..

I dont have the time to skate as much as I would like to nowadays with the tattooshop, American Nomad and everything else that comes with life...But I feel so good everytime I get on my board.. and luckily I know that it will never ruin me like repping snowboards did. There is no way in hell I will end like that again.

I hope the best for all real skateshops out there, the time will come when there is a new trend to fill the mall shops and skateboards will go back to where they belong...in a skateshop

Jay

PlayGod
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I have 2 sets of investors in town planning to open indoor skateparks & shops this year. I get some web work and free admission...

I've told both sets of folks to get on here, read and ask questions.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
PlayGod wrote:
I have 2 sets of investors in town planning to open indoor skateparks & shops this year. I get some web work and free admission...

I've told both sets of folks to get on here, read and ask questions.

investors want to make money...
skateboarders do it for skateboarding and hope they make money...

2 different types of people for sure

hopefully you get some indoor skatespots out of it

Jay

jkelly
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Im a bit of a prick on this subject for sure..

Skate shops and parks should be owned by skaters..as tattoo shops should be owned by tattoo artists..

I unfortunetly have to deal with investors looking to make a quick buck in both of the industries that I love...

I wonder what some fucking weightlifting fitness fuck would think if a out of shape skateboarder with bad knees covered in tattoos decided to open up a giant fitness center... "Oh fitness is so popular right now I should cash in on this trend"... I can then sit in my office watching them work out as I eat my big fucking double cheeseburger while I suck down my double thick shake on top of the piles of money I made selling them bottled water of all things...paying for water WTF....

TAKE THAT...

Jay

Page 3 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next