SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Longboard for a fatass...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Longboard for a fatass...

gogomouse1
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Okay, I'm looking for a basic deck, versatile- for both DH and carving and cruising... a good all- around deck.

I weigh about 275 , so a stiff deck, between 39" - 46".

Right now, I'm riding a home-made 38" with either 215's or Excates.... I'm thinking about a set of the new Fast tracks, always been a Tracker fan, especialy as far as build/quality issues (too bad not for turning)...... but I might wait to see how the Bennett DH trucks look & perform.... I'd rather support one of these old time companies.
wheels- I've been using Powell Bombers 68mm/85A, they're okay, but wheel bite took off a suprising amount of 'thane the first time I rode them. I've got a new set of 70MM kryptos, but I'm not expecting much from those either. I'm probably going to get a set of the big Gators...

So, what deck will hold up a fat-ass like me? Siff, yeah, but a little flex wouldn't be so bad.... mostly to soak up the road imperfections.

I'm not looking for anything too exotic, and on the cheaper end of the spectrum......

If anybody here has a used deck that meets my criteria, I might be interested.
Buddha43
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I might have something for ya, i'll pm you later.
motorpsycho67
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Sector 9 Bomb Hills
Bear Grizzlies
ABEC 11 Grippins
Hanoibomb
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2005 Posts: 912 Location: Central TX ditches
This deck might have what you're looking for.

Fullbag Speed Cruzer
Bro owned. PM Mig for more info.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Check Sector 9's website. The have some nice stiff decks in the carving series.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
gogomouse1 wrote:
So, what deck will hold up a fat-ass like me? Siff, yeah, but a little flex wouldn't be so bad.... mostly to soak up the road imperfections.
Hanoibomb is right. The SpeedCruzer is a great board for what you plan to use it for and for your size. Deck is made of 6 maple plies sandwiched between 2 Arborite plies (similar to Formica), so 8 plies total. Great concave, big wheelwells, sharp top edges for quick response, and drilled for new and old school. At 275 the deck will be stiff enough for DH and you'll get some snappy flex out of it when you'll need it for pumping and carving.

Gators on FasTracks or the futur Bennett DH will be perfect on this one. Any trucks with big diameter bushings like that make for a more progressive lean and help prevent wheel bite and add stability for the bigger guys. I'm over 300 and either run Stimulators, JimZs, or JimZ shaped Radikals on all my longboard trucks without wheel bite problems.

gogomouse1
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I was in the Zumies store at the mall two weeks ago, checking out the longboards- don't get me wrong, that's the last place I would buy a board, and they only sell completes anyway..... but the girl that works there is cute, and I'm a dirty old man

So I was looking at the boards, and the salesgirl told me "Well, we've got this display board, we're going to sell it for $40". So I figured, for forty bucks, what the hell. I could always sell it on ebay.

I took off the trucks ( Indy clones) and wheels (typical 78A/ 65mm), and put on my Excate trucks and Bones Bombers 85A /68mm....

Although it's a bit flexy, it's not too bad. I'm still waiting for more reviews of Tracker's fastracks (I like the big bushing idea), or maybe I'll wait for Bennett's DH truck.... or I'll just throw on some 215's I have laying around. And probably get some Alligators.

At least it doesn't have surf/beach/ocean/surfer graphics.... I hate that on longboards. If I wanted to surf, I'd surf. Or at least if the company actually made surfboards.... otherwise I think that look is kinda lame. IMO.

But I'll use this for carving/cruising, I wouldn't use this setup at serious speeds.
TuUrBoOo
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Landyachtz Evo! It's not quite flexy, but with 11 plies of pure wood, I'm sure you'll be stoked.

Landyachtz Evo
Grizzlys 1052's (50 degrees)
and 83mm Flywheels 78a
warehouse
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
x2
slob-air
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63457 Location: S&B HQ
TuUrBoOo wrote:
Landyachtz Evo! It's not quite flexy, but with 11 plies of pure wood, I'm sure you'll be stoked.

Landyachtz Evo
Grizzlys 1052's (50 degrees)
and 83mm Flywheels 78a

Scatch the flywheels and go with Alligators.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next