SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Lib Tech Banana Skate and Magnetraction
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lib Tech Banana Skate and Magnetraction

Mig
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Count Ratula wrote:
Banana performance kills camber performance, and both were introduced to snowboards by Lib Tech.
They may have been the first to market it... From what I can remember, their claim was to the first carving snowboard (aggressive sidecut + camber) in the mid '80s. Before Lib "introduced" the camber, most commercial boards were flat or had rocker but not all. The first Sims wood board (quadraconcave... it was my first "real" snowboard) that came out in 1981, after the yellow plastic things with a Lonnie Toft deck bolted on top, had camber. Even those yellow things had camber! The Burton Competition Performer (first Burton with p-tex base) had BIG camber.

And rocker has been used in snowboards since the beginning. Does the Sims Terry Kidwell Pro Freestyle Model from twentysome years ago ring a bell to anyone? That came out way before the Lamar Yoyo rode in the pic above and was THE first freestyle board. It was rockered.

Another example: the Lamar Mike Ranquet from the '90s had a heavily rockered front part of the board, if I remember correctly.

Here's the first banana board. It's a Wicklunds snurfer from the 1930's...

Count Ratula wrote:
Pete Saari actually formally apologized for introducing camber.
That's what I call good M A R K E T I N G...

duckincali
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 05 Feb 2006 Posts: 1831 Location: the oregon rainforests
check this '09 out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ESE:IT&ih=014 traded it for my box scratcher. obviously fishing but who knows w/ the craziness as of late. wish it was a 154 or 157
yoyo
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
duckincali wrote:
check this '09 out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ESE:IT&ih=014 traded it for my box scratcher. obviously fishing but who knows w/ the craziness as of late. wish it was a 154 or 157

So, if it's too long, cut off the extra material...well kinda joking here, but it would be possible. You will get a long edge, with less swing weight.
And: I love the Lib Techs, because of the non steel edged nose and tail areas in case of an repair. Epoxy and a rasp do the job. Any other snowboard: Throw it away!
duckincali
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
completely agreed.
strohsbro2
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Nice board duckincali.

The 59 is the size I wanted too.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
thanks
Barnyard
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Dec 2001 Posts: 595 Location: NorCal, born and raised...
DuckInCali - didn't know that was your board. I'd been unknowingly watching your one-of-a-kind skate banana auction. That board is sweet looking in the red and black.
duckincali
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
thanks! too big for me but hoping it will go big.
theGONZfather
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
yoyo wrote:

So, if it's too long, cut off the extra material...well kinda joking here, but it would be possible. You will get a long edge, with less swing weight.

I remember people doing that when the jib revolution began. Then there was the T bolt craze for wider stances a few years back.
yoyo wrote:

And: I love the Lib Techs, because of the non steel edged nose and tail areas in case of an repair. Epoxy and a rasp do the job. Any other snowboard: Throw it away!

It goes both ways. Even though the edges are recessed in the ptex, I've seen mervin boards with the edges blown out from the nose or tail. But I do agree its less swing weight & easier to maintain.
& if you're so inclined, why not try a edge-less street dweller from Forum? They were only like $199. I heard they didn't really turn that great though.
Did you ever see/ride those Hobie boards with double edges?

Anyways, only heard good stuff about the magne traction. Even good for jibbing. Which doesn't make sense in my mind but what do I know?
Also, the banana floats effortlessly on the pow & because of its rocker construction you can do mega nose presses.

Well, thats what I was told. Maybe I should go try one of the demos at our shop.

If you guys need, PM me & I can check the local shops for ya?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Aug 2003 Posts: 7129 Location: Wild in the streets
theGONZfather wrote:
yoyo wrote:

I remember people doing that when the jib revolution began. Then there was the T bolt craze for wider stances a few years back.
yoyo wrote:

It goes both ways. Even though the edges are recessed in the ptex, I've seen mervin boards with the edges blown out from the nose or tail. But I do agree its less swing weight & easier to maintain.
& if you're so inclined, why not try a edge-less street dweller from Forum? They were only like $199. I heard they didn't really turn that great though.
Did you ever see/ride those Hobie boards with double edges?

Anyways, only heard good stuff about the magne traction. Even good for jibbing. Which doesn't make sense in my mind but what do I know?
Also, the banana floats effortlessly on the pow & because of its rocker construction you can do mega nose presses.

Well, thats what I was told. Maybe I should go try one of the demos at our shop.

If you guys need, PM me & I can check the local shops for ya?

Hey Yoshi..do you remember when the jib revolution began? we are talking around 92ish I will post some pics of some old handrail stuff on my cut up Gnu from around then...

Jay

[quote="tioem"]The closest some guys get to pussy is being one.
I'm not talking about any of you queers. [/quote]

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next