SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  BEARS Grizzly TRUCKS worth the money
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

BEARS Grizzly TRUCKS worth the money

OzcardaGrouch
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Phuctard Joined: 08 May 2008 Posts: 157
I had my qualms about these trucks the fit was not exactly screaming precision and I could swear I could see the kingpin flex when I was pushing down on the hangers! Still thinking about at least updating those to something harder, but Is the base flexing cause bolts don't flex?

I bought two sets one 10mm and one 8mm set because the orderhouse only had one set of the 10mm left

I Liked the oldschool/newschool combo base and the side supports might be made bigger to prevent the flex.( these are my first sets of the newstyle kingpin thru the hanger put them on backwards kingpins out type of trucks Like the Randells )only these are supposed to be way better than those chinese made sector 9 trucks.

So I played around with a couple different sets of bushings Khiro reds with the aluminium washer attached to the top bushing (I think they are called HardCores?) What the Bears come with and they are nice! I tried some Khiro Blacks and then a squishy set of Blues and settled on the stock Khiro REd on top and a super hard Purple on the bottom

I am running a 5block hill maybe 6 blocks and pushing the other side of 35 when I straighten it out

I never got around to flipping the hangers over to the 47degree bomb hills mode ( Bears are designed with a hanger that flips from carvy to stable though the inverted kingpin makes this a five minute ordeal the exposed base allowing you to do it while the truck is bolted to your deck is nicer than some designs.)

I was satisfied with the supposedly carvy 53 degree angle as they come. Only with soft bushings did I find these trucks carvy but they do turn well. Today was Bomb Hills day so tightening the Bears down until they did not turn until over 20 and even then just slight carves staying in one lane.

I ran the Hill four times and think I touched 40 on at least one run. These trucks feel just as stable loose as they do tightened completely down and I am more then happy with how they performed allowing me to let it all hang out on this monster hill

If your thinking about a set grab them. These are good trucks, but know like any performance goody they take a bit to setup where you want them.

Last edited by OzcardaGrouch on Tue May 20, 2008 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total
slob-air
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
OzcardaGrouch wrote:
I could swear I could see the kingpin flex when I was pushing down on the hangers! Still thinking about at least updating those to something harder...

Leave it alone. It's supposed to flex, it's spring steel. Put something harder in and it will break.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
No kidding? It will break! the baseplate you mean? Wow I never heard of a kingpin made to flex.

I am old and crusty so most advancements kinda freak me out.

I am curious as to why the flexy kingpin? the design is capable of producing that much torque on the kingpin? I noticed that the base has reinforced ribbing or truces if you will that ideally would reinforce the kingpin area. Could I take my bases and add wields to further strengthen the base? I can wield aluminium

any suggestions on getting the performance I want out of these trucks
haterish
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
OzcardaGrouch wrote:
No kidding? It will break! the baseplate you mean? Wow I never heard of a kingpin made to flex.

I am old and crusty so most advancements kinda freak me out.

I am curious as to why the flexy kingpin? the design is capable of producing that much torque on the kingpin? I noticed that the base has reinforced ribbing or truces if you will that ideally would reinforce the kingpin area. Could I take my bases and add wields to further strengthen the base? I can wield aluminium

any suggestions on getting the performance I want out of these trucks

sell em and buy indys. I had a set, them shits don't turn.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
INdy's? I don't know I don't like trucks that turny

I prefer Tracker sixtracks wedged out to make them even less turny

I tried Thunders once and just about broke my ankles
slob-air
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Grizzly's are good trucks.

Spring steel allows very minor flex and it returns to center. A harder kingpin would likely break when cantilevered,

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
So its the kingpin thats flexing?
slob-air
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I doubt you'd notice kingpin flex. It's real hard for me to assess what's going on without holding them in my hands�let alone no images.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think theres anything wrong with them They are fast trucks.

I thought it was a weird optical illusion until you said they are spring steel. I have not noticed anything riding them but I am traveling straight.

I have not flipped the hangers yet if that says anything?
slob-air
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
You'd likely never feel the flex of Spring steel�it flexes ever so slightly instead of breaking like a Grade 8 bolt would.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next