SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What type, grit, thinkness of veneer to use???
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

What type, grit, thinkness of veneer to use???

ditch_distribution
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:52 am Reply with quote
I sent an email to Great Lakes Veneer asking what type of veneer they sell for skateboards and I got the response below. Could anyone basicly translate this to me, what type of grit to use? What the heck is grit? And what type size out of the 3 they suggest is best?

thanks in advance.

Thank you for the inquiry. We currently produce veneer for skateboards in all North American Hard Maple. We offer both natural and dyed (colored) veneer and we also have the ability to sand to either 180 grit or 220 grit finish. Our sizes are listed below.

HM .062" 9.5" x 34.5" Faces and Centers

HM .050" 34.5" x 9.5" Cross Bands

HM .041" 34.5" x 9.5" Cross Bands

In order for me to give you a quotation I need to know volume required and frequency of the orders. Currently our minimum on shipments is a full 20' container which is enough veneer to produce approx. 6500 decks.

If you have any questions please contact me directly at any of the below numbers.

Best regards,

David P Kazmierczak
Product Development

Lofidelity
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:16 am Reply with quote
not sure about the other stuff but the grit is referring to the type of sandpaper used. the lower the grit # the rougher the finish and the higher the grit # the smoother the finish.

rock n roll
slob-air
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
180 is a little harsh - go with the 220, it'll provide as good a substrate as the 180. Keep in mind that in between spraying sealer and stain and clear coat you're going to want to lightly sand between coats - I suggest 360 for that.
ditch_distribution
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
thanks guys I'v got that one out the way now. What about this...

HM .062" 9.5" x 34.5" Faces and Centers

HM .050" 34.5" x 9.5" Cross Bands

HM .041" 34.5" x 9.5" Cross Bands

I know that they are the different thinknesses but what thinkness do you comanly use? One last thing, whats the differance betwean crossbands and faces and centers. Please help me out, tell me the best options.
ohio
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:08 pm Reply with quote
faces refers to the top and bottom ply or in other terms the plys that you see. these plys are if you have evernoticed with the grain top to bottom not side to side, so this leaves the cross bands, these are the plys that deal with the plys that go side to side see each ply is lay the opposite of the other ply which is adhers to this creates a cross in pattern allthe way thru the board for max strength, as for thickness i would go for the thin .041 they will be light and sweet. yes yoiu have to order the venner by crate thats why its tends to be expensive but its fun. this company is the real deal they no there shit
ditch_distribution
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:46 pm Reply with quote
thanks ohio. so for one deck it would be set up like this..

0.062 face
0.041 cross
0.041 cross
0.062 face(center)
0.041 cross
0.041 cross
0.062 face

or do we do

face
center
face
center
face
center
face

I'm not the fastest in the pack so any help is welcome, thanks again everyone.
Nick
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we should do a bulk order thing. A few of us will all buy a minimum order then split it all out evenly. How much was it for the minimum order?
ditch_distribution
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:49 pm Reply with quote
nick, good idea a bit risky though incase one of us is a crook, no offence guys but you have to be carefull. Perhaps is sombody bought the minimum and the rest of use could buy it of them through paypal giving a bit of security?

[ This Message was edited by: ditch_distribution on 2003-06-05 19:54 ]
Nick
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I can do it through paypal but there is no way that I could pay for all of it at once.
I am not actually ready to start pressing my own decks yet either, check out my other post on bulk order decks. If i could find a good cheap press then hell yeah this would be great.
Nick
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:09 pm Reply with quote
wait, thats a 20' container. haha, I couldn't even store that. Actually the minnimum cost alone would be enormous.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next