SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Anyone try.....
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anyone try.....

Upland_Yo
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Xgecko wrote:
thank you no I learned to snowboard in the late 70's and early 80's when bindings were a joke and you were better off not using them...now they work why would I consider not using them...but then I prefer to go really fast

cool mono ski
auragreg
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
OH - the snow around us is sooooo good that we have to change our boards to make it harder!

eff you guys and you're endless powder!!!

Try riding without bindings here in Michigan on our "packed powder" (which really means ICE).

You'd never make it down the hill.

I'll keep my bindings thanks.

And to teh carver guy - carve it up! My friend rides a carver and he is SUPER fast. I could never keep up. Carver's arent my style tho. Too ridgid.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
marker
Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
noboards use a strap, like wrapping an innertube around your skate deck and hopping around. bidecks with powder subs can go anywhere a noboard can. there are lots of pics of noboards doing big drops but again its cause the strap. Wolle Nylette is doing some pretty big stuff on his bideck without using a strap check it out in the latest absinthe film.

theGONZfather
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Cool beans. As I said, different strokes for different folks.

Trauma park? Hardly. I love the park. I love me some street rails as well. back country is fun as well but i don't get to hit it up as much as I would like.

This year we got 3 snowmobiles so we'll definitely be hitting up Sonora pass & the steeps. Nothing beats the feeling of flying down/across 100+ feet of air. Gets my blood pumpin!

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I think build a noboard pad myself for try..
someone have already made one here?
marker
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Once nice thing about a noboard setup though is it is ultra lightweight. When riding strapless its all about leverage and the better the snow conditions the less leverage you need. That's why noboarding is pretty limited to fresh light fluffy powder, think of it as a zero height bideck.

They are easy to build just buy some Hydro -turf or FSgrip with psa backing and some madrid wedgies and your good to go. Hydro-turf comes in large sheets so its best if you have a few guys to go in on it, fsgrip.com sells individual sheets. Or you can buy a bunch of stomp pads. For a leash just buy a retractable dog leash, 15' and attach it to a belt around your waist, this will keep the board close at hand and you won't have to worry about recoil.

I have an old burton cruzer with the concave tail and slot for a fin that I'm thinking of doing up for this winter but no silly strap.
frenchie michel
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
you have some ideas...
I don't rode noboards, but I rode old snowboard without binding , just with foot strap.
turn is already hard , often backside turn..I think build something with better grip..
maybe aluminium base and stomp pad( like dakine or other) on or a entire in fiberglass..and removable system for use on several board, like the true noboard pad
for the leash, bodyboard leash, why not, I like your idea of dog leash for security, but you need too a leash in your hand for kept the board under your feet in relief

for use with a cruzer , I have one, this board have no flex and no pintail ,so I think that will be very hard to turn in noboarding.
for good utilisation, noboard pad must be certainly use with a good pintail board, for turn easy, of course only in powder.
I just sale my fish, I think use with an unity pintail or an old apocalypse swallowtail that I have.

In fact, some knows the price of a real noboard pad?
marker
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
uh not sure what you mean "in relief" but you don't need a strap in your hand. like I mentioned before I haven't ridden a noboard only bidecks with powder subs like these from florida powder company.

your right though, a pintail shape is key, keeps the nose up, which is hard cause you don't have a front binding and it transferes edge to edge faster, the drawback is in supper steep stuff its easy to loop the tail out cause the edge is not parrellel to your toes. Riding strapless it's easier to do heal side turns then toe side, more leverage cause your bodyweight is over your heals. With bidecks you can just transfer the top deck over to other subs depending on the conditions. Here's a shot of my trucks with a sliding pad. this allows the sub greater flex and can accomodate different insert widths from different subs, there's also a height adjustment for more leverage.

Not sure the price on the noboard pads, it was around 150.00.
frenchie michel
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
whouh..man those pintail shape are very rad..
and nice work ....
I'm a little suspicious about powder skate
I find it very interested but I never rode one and..I asked myself why

with a narrow ski like this??, Do you correctly float on powder?
do you think a sytem like this , would be possible on a classical snowboard, like a burton fish? why they use a narrow ski?.

because I have not a helicopter on my garden..(like all american guy )I need to use a classical snowboard with removable system for go at the powder spot....
marker
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Yea tapered sub decks work great but so does an old snowboard for powder. You would use the same size top deck for both and could just switch the top deck around. On groomers the leverage needed is side to side, in powder the leverage is front to back. So a big top deck mounted to an old snowboard will rip in the powder but be a handfull on anything packed(think 8 wheeler), where as the tapered subdecks would actually be manageable on groomers and rip the powder. You�d want a top deck around 40� long and between 10-11 inches wide, lots of concave and steep nose and tail.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next