SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  anyone know about this..Roarockit Skateboard Kit
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

anyone know about this..Roarockit Skateboard Kit

Five Points Skateboards
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:20 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I've never used the Roarockit thing, but It looks like a chinsy piece of crap to me. Looks like a kids toy setup. I find it very hard to believe that That vacuum pack press will do the job. You need like 2000 PSI to press boards that won't delam the instant you step on them. Shit, ya might as well just buy a shrink wrap kit, and shrink wrap the plys together and let em sit. That's about what they're doing. I find it hard to believe that it'll work.

Scottay
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
LOL!!

Thats some funny stuff Five Points!!
My wife has one of those food saver shrink wrap kits She bought from QVC. I think I will grab some wood from the guys at the factory and we can start our own company!!
I think you are on to something.
I agree, I checked out the site and I don't think I would waste good wood using that press.
Lard
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:31 am Reply with quote
Heres some facts on pressure.
Pounds per square inch means what it says, it works like this I will use Pnumatics to explain.if i am using a 1 inch cylinder on my press and i put in 1 psi of air pressure the ram will lift 1 pound so to get the 2000 psi needed to press a board you would have to put in 2000 psi of air which would'nt happen, I may be wrong but i dont know of a 2000psi compressor. The solution is to make the cylinder on your ram 20 inch and put in 100 psi, 20inchs x 100 psi = 2000 pounds of pressure and one skate board.
So to build the cheapest form of press you can use a 2 ton bottle jack but for accuracy see if you can get someone to put a pressure gauge on it, It sounds harder than it is your local hydrolic store will do it for you. and it will enable you to keep an eye on pressure and its effects on board quality.
Heres how Vacume presses work (and they do work powell used to use them in the 90s because it gives a very even pressure)
The same principal applies as with rams. if you have a bag that is 1 inch square and you vacume at 1 psi that equates to i pound of pressure. So if you are using a bag that is 10 inches wide and 30 inches long that makes an area of 300 square inches times that by 1 psi of vacume it will give you 300 pounds of pressure on the surface so in principal you would only have to to apply 6.66 pounds of vacume to gain 2000 pounds of presure on the surface you are pressing.
The idea of these kits are good but like someone else once said they look like a toy.
if you want to fuck around its the shit but if your half serious spend some money.
Ceasar13
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:55 pm Reply with quote
ok, heres the digs ont this roarockit thing. I got some time and money cuz of a motorcycle accident, so I checked it out. Bought the kit and enough to refills to make a couple boards. The wood is brittle and I had some cross-plys crack on me. The veneers are also to thick at seven plys. I made my second one with six, and it is allright. I did not like the mold shape, but you can use a deck with a shape you like in between the foam and plys to mimic that shape (I did this with a flip and liked the results on my second board.) The bag has plenty of pressure since you only mold like two or three plys at a time. All in all, it was fun but worthless for production level deck fabrication. Stick with a hydro and molds so you can press a deck in one shot, not four days. The plys are also overpriced if your looking for profit. I will dink around carving some longboard and old school molds and using better wood from somewhere else, but I am not using it for production runs, just for fun.
OH YEAH, the worst part is the glue, you have five minutes to smear it and bag it and vacuum it, so you feel really panic-rushed during this part.
Props to the guy who markets this (they were very friendly and professional, and their packaging is top-notch), it is an awesome hobby kit for playing around with or for kids who want to try and build a board without expensive equipment, but dont think you can produce good boards on a decent scale this way.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2