SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  x-games
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

x-games

vaskateboards
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
just watched it and I have to say that Shaun white is a cool motherfucker! I hope he stays like he is! He is always hyped and seems to spread good vibes.
Of course that is all that I get fed by the media but still.
Hopefully he won't get consumed by money and get led in the wrong direction in the coming years.

I'm so jealous of all the competitors riding.
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I watched some boarder cross and slope style and was really impressed with the level of snowboarding these days. The boarder cross course was soooooo long, those guys are so damn good; very impressive.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Shaun White

Pretty cool watching him the past few years at the Open.

Did anyone see Kelly Clark's faceplant last night? Ouch.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
shaun killed it on the second run. crossing that gap. he is super solid. a funny guy too. he loves led zepplin. imho he captures a essence of the sport and can identify w/ him as a real person. his desire for perfection and strong ambition has been inspiring to me not only on the mountain but also in my art glass shop too.
Rando
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
X games =populairity contests. Kevin Pierce got ripped off in super pipe, cause he's not their little puppet. Heres Shawn Whites run followed by his Oakley commercial. Oh heres his video game commercial. They do this shit to all of Sals man crushes. Hawk,Palmer,Way and now White. That kid is good for sure, but the whole building up the drama shit is stale as fuck. X games =poo .
norwesnika
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Rando wrote:
X games =poo .

x2!

they show him up there predominately to get more viewers for sure.

shits a monster.

know one thing, I sure can't rip like any of those guys (or chicks for that matter) that day. always stoked, not into the names or drama, to old and busy to care, just the riding abilities are amazing.

just glad they air it out here in the country. running off one off those antenna things.
auragreg
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I just wish they would make a REAL slopestyle course. Having everyone hit the same thing gets boring. GO back to the old days when you could pick different stuff and different lines.

The boardercross course was too long. So long it got boring. Make it technical. Get rid of the wax race, let their abilities dictate the winner. It's a bad course when pros case every jump because the deck is too long.

And I'm sorry - but freestyle skiing is booorrringg to watch. whoever spins the most wins. Sure it's crazy, and I have respect for their skills, but it's a spin contest. And why do you really need poles?

I also love how they invented a "contest" for that guy to try the double backflip on the snowmobile. And how bummed ESPN was that only ONE guy even landed a "trick" - so he won.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
Mig
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
auragreg wrote:
And I'm sorry - but freestyle skiing is booorrringg to watch. whoever spins the most wins. Sure it's crazy, and I have respect for their skills, but it's a spin contest.
How is it any different to you than any of the snowboard events??? Pipe and big air, or whatever it's called now, are all spinning contests. Emphasis is certainly not on style, very big straight airs (which at the heights they're getting now are probably harder to do without the stability of a spinning movement), lip tricks, or line choice in snowboarding nowadays.

The freestyle aspect of both sports is pretty much the same. It's just that one is following/imitating the other now... And both of them are equally boring to me, specially in the X games format.

I'm not defending skiing here. I've been snowboarding since 1979, non-stop, anywhere from 50 to over 100 days a season, helped design and test freeride boards for a couple of manus, was offered a job has chief R&D guy by one of them, was approched to become a pipe judge for ISF before FIS took over, and never lived farther than a 20 minute drive from a ski area. Let's say, as far as snow goes, I have a "one track mind"...

Pipe is something that is soooo under exploited and waaaay too standardized. They could easily quadruple the lenght and put corners and hips, and metal coping sections, and tombstones, spines, even over-verts. One big downhill snakerun/skatepark where you can actually choose lines that would let the real all around creative rippers shine. Not a robot spinner only show.

auragreg
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
Mig wrote:
auragreg wrote:
And I'm sorry - but freestyle skiing is booorrringg to watch. whoever spins the most wins. Sure it's crazy, and I have respect for their skills, but it's a spin contest.
How is it any different to you than any of the snowboard events??? Pipe and big air, or whatever it's called now, are all spinning contests. Emphasis is certainly not on style, very big straight airs (which at the heights they're getting now are probably harder to do without the stability of a spinning movement), lip tricks, or line choice in snowboarding nowadays.

The freestyle aspect of both sports is pretty much the same. It's just that one is following/imitating the other now... And both of them are equally boring to me, specially in the X games format.

I'm not defending skiing here. I've been snowboarding since 1979, non-stop, anywhere from 50 to over 100 days a season, helped design and test freeride boards for a couple of manus, was offered a job has chief R&D guy by one of them, was approched to become a pipe judge for ISF before FIS took over, and never lived farther than a 20 minute drive from a ski area. Let's say, as far as snow goes, I have a "one track mind"...

Pipe is something that is soooo under exploited and waaaay too standardized. They could easily quadruple the lenght and put corners and hips, and metal coping sections, and tombstones, spines, even over-verts. One big downhill snakerun/skatepark where you can actually choose lines that would let the real all around creative rippers shine. Not a robot spinner only show.

oh - I totally agree with the spin aspect of snowboarding too - and they are losing a lot of the creative aspect to gain a standardization. It's happenend too freestyle motocross too ... all the jumps used to be different, different lines and such. Now it;s almost all the samel metal ramp to a dirt lander. I'm sure it's better for them, as it's more consistant, but it makes every comp look the same.

I guess there is just an aspect of freestyle skiing that reminds me of inline on a halfpipe. At least on a snowboard there is the dimension of switch. Sure there is "switch" for skis ... but it's rare to see someone on skis go switch into the next wall. Plus, grabs are just look messy on skiis ... poles flying all over.

Not to disrescpect them at all. I could never do what they do.

But their creativity is being stifled. Like the "no flip" rule in figure skating.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
Rando
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
It was good to hear Todd Richards saying back to back 1080s were played out ,and that Teters switch method air was what was needed in half pipe nowdays. Variety not spinning like a top. Where was Danny Kass and his airs to fakie? That shit is whats really rad.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next