SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  building a gravity games DH setup
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

building a gravity games DH setup

slavadov
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
recently, my curiosity was piqued when i thought back to 2001 when i first saw downhill skateboarding on Gravity Games. well, now that i'm actually into that kind of thing, i kinda wanna build a setup that emulates what the guys were riding back then. i know they used randals and indys for trucks (i saw a pic of a guy who looked like he was on 169's, and many others with randals), and i know they used krypto wheels, but those are hard to find nowadays. also, i couldn't find any specific examples of what boards the guys were riding...i know madrid was involved back then, as was dregs and sucktor9, but like i said, i coudln't tell specific boards.

so i guess i'm trying to find "modern" equivalent parts to what the guys rode in the late 90's and early 2000's; specifically decks and wheels. thanks!
motorpsycho67
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote

Sorry man. Couldn't resist. Shit cracks me up.
slavadov
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
motorpsycho67 wrote:

Sorry man. Couldn't resist. Shit cracks me up.

samuel l. jaxon IS a funny man
streetheap
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
S9 Bombhills
Indy 215s or Randal 180s
Abec 11 Flashbacks

If you want to go crazy, take your bombhills and mount the rear truck so the rear baseplate is in the front deck holes. Drill 2 new holes without fucking up your baseplate. Shape the tail as you see fit.
You now have something similar to a coveted S9 race deck. The rail shape is different and a couple other things, but it's close. You're gonna lose the rear wells so if you run randals, you might wanna sand in some new ones if you're gonna be carving hard.
The now 32" WB is stiffer (not as barge like), and in reality you're just killing an ugly pintail anyway. Much more of a utilitarian shape if you ask me.
slavadov
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
streetheap wrote:
S9 Bombhills
Indy 215s or Randal 180s
Abec 11 Flashbacks

If you want to go crazy, take your bombhills and mount the rear truck so the rear baseplate is in the front deck holes. Drill 2 new holes without fucking up your baseplate. Shape the tail as you see fit.
You now have something similar to a coveted S9 race deck. The rail shape is different and a couple other things, but it's close. You're gonna lose the rear wells so if you run randals, you might wanna sand in some new ones if you're gonna be carving hard.
The now 32" WB is stiffer (not as barge like), and in reality you're just killing an ugly pintail anyway. Much more of a utilitarian shape if you ask me.

dregs alpine=s9 race mold

i did find some TVS boards, but they were on a really sketchy website...and i found some pics of the podiums at the grav games...dregs alpine, some dropthru with indy 169's, and a TVS with randals

you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find specific boards that guys used back in the day; there's a severe lack of pictures, and asking around, people don't seem to know. these days, you can find tons and tons of pics of everybody and their setups, and find their setups intrinsically detailed in print, in magazines (concrete wave) and websites.
streetheap
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote

Yeah I was gonna mention the alpine as well, but didn't wanna get too long winded.
They are all very similar in shape/concave. I believe they are all 9-ply as well.
Looks likw you already know what's up anyway.
meanis
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Jan 2009 Posts: 128 Location: melbourne australia
Wheels wise, check out freebords slasher wheels, they are the closest thing to a blue i have ridden, (got a set of 85mm blues now) also check the freebord forum and get onto a guy called gadgetuk its how i got my set of blues off him

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I raced at the first gravity games so can give you some insight.

lee dansie and sean mallard were running indy 215s. everyone else was on stock randal 18Os.

mallard and leemo had their madrid boards, pretty much all the dregs guys were riding the taco shells, gary had his TVS fire extinguisher and manu antuna and i had chopped down s9 custom race thingys.

As for wheels, it was cherry bombs, m8Os and 7Omm kryps, red or white. I'm fairly sure we didnt see any blue kryps until a couple of years later.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
AK47SANDUZIS wrote:

lee dansie and sean mallard were running indy 215s. everyone else was on stock randal 18Os.

mallard and leemo had their madrid boards, pretty much all the dregs guys were riding the taco shells, gary had his TVS fire extinguisher and manu antuna and i had chopped down s9 custom race thingys.

As for wheels, it was cherry bombs, m8Os and 7Omm kryps, red or white. I'm fairly sure we didnt see any blue kryps until a couple of years later.

cool, thanks!
slavadov
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
AK47SANDUZIS wrote:

Bump from the past. Where did PowerPaw wheels fit into everything?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next