SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  I dig what you guys are into
Page 1 of 1    

I dig what you guys are into

krayola
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Feb 2007 Posts: 15449 Location: R'lyeh 47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717
Yet I've to become excited about any of the old boards I ever rode. Though few my story and how I am not nostalgic, or fond of old boards maybe is unique. Or not.

I guess fortunately or unfortunately I grew up in what people consider the heart of skateboarding in the 80's. Yet I grew up poor and on the edge of a neighborhood where my friends, who where better off could afford store bought pro boards. I couldn't.

I grew up having to ride hand me downs, 5-10 year old big pigs found at garage sales. I eventually made my own boards because I rode boards that mostly couldn't perform the tricks my friends where riding.

I started with my first board, a GSD a hand me down. I liked it but it snapped in literally 20 Minutes. My first real street shape that wasn't a big pig Powell board. I started trading my lunch tickets, painting punk rock friends leathers....anything to get there barely used, discarded for the cool board of the moment to cut down into a GSD. I loved that board but it had a design flaw.

I did...and thus needed bigger boards to cut my GSD modification out of. I bought a blank, I cut a new version out of it. My first store bought board was one I made myself.

I later had the opportunity to ride a Monty Nolder, having liked the shape I bought a blank and made a copy. That lasted me about 2 days of hard bank skating and acid drops into pools.

I hated the wood of the 80's(Blanks that is) and attempted to create a better board at any cost. I went through what many of you have done, made my own blanks, they sucked.

But still now, there is no one pro board I crave or loose sleep over. I tried literally ever board ever made in the 80's borrowed them, studied them in my quest. The best wood in the 80's, Schmitt and NWS though both had there drawbacks.

I eventually started my own label in the mid 80's in the quest for the best shape that wouldn't splinter, get more air and be lighter, stronger. I was an idiot and would call up companies and give recommendations on glue and construction techniques. I think to this day a lot of company owners know me as that pesky kid that gave them recommendations on which Dow or Dupont glues to try.

I missed owning all the cool boards you guys had the opportunities to ride but I only know what I know.

However right now, I found out someone has a pile of NOS uncut Z-flex 1988 vintage blanks....I am licking my lips at this opportunity.

So I'm not so immune to the vintage craze as I thought previously.

Thanks for reading.

Crazy Nick
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey Kray, I had a very similar story growing up;
I had tons of natural ability but I don't think I ever had a new board as a kid.
Does this sound familiar "my mom said I can't let anybody ride it"

Thats why nowadays when some guy with a few bucks inquires about my boards I usually politely decline their offers, on the other hand I really do love to spread stoke to some of my close friends when they least expect it with a custom deck.

BTW my first decent rider was also a used Powell

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Dude i dig the art u did for the Paul Cullen deck it looks bad ass with your Name in the arm.Nicley done

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
And this needed to be dragged back from the dead why?
daveosbak
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sorry i thought it was Bad ASS!!

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
motorpsycho67 wrote:

Because daveosbak.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
motorpsycho67 wrote:

Because daveosbak.

Sounds like a Hall & Oates song.

Page 1 of 1