SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  D@mn shoulder
Page 1 of 1    

D@mn shoulder

Artificiamerica
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:10 pm Reply with quote
a month ago i fell and pulled my shoulder out of it's socket and tore some ligaments and crap.....well now anytime i hit something from high up it jerks my arm and pulls it out of socket again...this has happened 4 miserable times...other than not skating how do you fix it or help it???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
slob-air
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
Duct tape?
Da Judge
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your injury. Its very painfull...I should know! There are basically 2 things. 1) Some strengthening excersises help (not for me though). The other alternative was 2) Surgery. I have had similar surgeries to both left & right shoulders. My rt shoulder still has 3 s.s. pins in it. Im better now, with limited range of motion in both shoulders, and if the surgeons knew I was skating (I'm 40), they would freak. Early August this year, I broke my Rt collarbone skating. So, I was worried about a re-injury, luckily, the break was all the damage done. But do get to a doc (ortho), and ask for a MRI. X-rays wont show shit. Good Luck.
L8~Guy
backwardsbernie
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Take care of it, go to a doctor if you can. I seperated my shoulder in th 80's and never took care of it. I've lived to regret it with years of back aches and a weak shoulder, it sucks.
backwardsbernie
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Judge, do those suckers ache or what? I know sleeping on my bad side is a bummer but what do you do with two bad sides?
Da Judge
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:32 pm Reply with quote
...Ive learned to sleep on my back. I used to sleep on my stomach, w/my arm above my head. Thats not an option anymore. I cant sleep on either side, unless my arms are at my side (try sleeping like THAT sometime!). After all this, Im still learning how to fall on my knees, which is hard to do (I had surgery on my Lt Knee too!)
L8~Guy
Artificiamerica
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:34 am Reply with quote
sleeping with a hurt shoulder does hurt...especially when you wake up in the morning...do they make like any kind of brace or something inexpensive to keep it from coming out again??? i would love to go to the doctor but im poor and uninsured...any money i have goes to food or my skateboards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Da Judge
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, No real brace that I know of. Soon, I plan on starting taking Glucosamine Condroiton (sp?) when I can find out more definate info. Gettin' old sucks, huh!?
Yo-Mo-Fo
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yo Dude,
Took the head of my humerous not funny 14 myhs ago. just had op to remove screws and plate. When you screw ya shoulder it takes a long time to mend. If what is called the 'cuff' a ring of muscle and tendon around the joint is damaged/torm in a dislocation it takes some mendin. Never the same again dude. Do a seach for shoulder operation and check the sites. And see ya Doc.

Not what u want to here but been there and it sucks. Physio realy helps and trainin the shoulder muscles.

Hope it gets better man
Christophish
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Physio is the way to go..... I dislocated my shoulder 2 years ago and it is still not the same...... Basically, you have to get the muscles in your shoulder stronger than they were before the injury because when ligaments tear and stretch they stay loose, so you need stronger muscles to hold your arm in its socket, which will do the job your ligaments once did, which was keeping your arm in place. I've heard stories of people that continuously re-dislocate there shoulder doing shit like brushing their hair!!! This can happen if it is not taken care of. I went to physio and these are some exercises I did, but check with your doc to make sure they are fine for you, rather than just listening to some dude on the net:

1. Soup can rotations - Once you have a bit of motion, lay on your back and hold a soup can over your chest with a straight arm. Gently mke small cirles in the air with the can while keeping your arm straight. Do this on and off for about 15 minutes a day.

2. hold a volleyball or similar type ball against a wall and randomly move it around with a straight arm, but don't let the ball fall off the wall. Apparently the motion needed to recover or save the ball from falling off the wall is good for the muscle. But make sure you do not lose the ball and fall into the wall, it will pop your shoulder out again so BE CAREFUL! Do this for another 15 minutes after the soup can thing.

3. After a few weeks and it's starting to get stronger, start doing forward and lateral raises starting with VERY light weights (like 1 pound) and GRADUALLY work to heavier...

Oh yeah... and put some heat on it before you exercise it, and ice it afterward.... This takes time but it is essential.

And take it easy at the park..... one fall and it WILL pop out again!!!!! Shoulders take a long time to heal, and they need that period of no trauma on it at all in order to heal properly. Hope this helps... But you have to see your doc..... insurance or not! You could be buggered for life if you don't!

[ This Message was edited by: Christophish on 2003-12-26 19:17 ]

Page 1 of 1