SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  money vs fun
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

money vs fun

skinny
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It’s been many skateboarders' dreams to start their own skateboard company. It has in the past led some to money and fame.

Most of the time the company has a couple of years in the sun and then gets reorganized, renamed and re-branded. In some rare occasions it succeeds for many years and the people involved build the company into a workhorse paying for houses, cars, tits…ect.

Every time this happens there is a point where people decide if the company will be for money or for fun.

Some people are content with a couple of boards a day from a press they made and some friends rocking their little label.

Others go to great effort to secure a location, funding, advertising distribution, and labor for making hundreds of skateboards a day.

At times there is nothing more than a P.O, box and a “name” behind a company that uses a manufacturer to make every deck sticker or shirt but they too are doing it for the goal of making money.

There is an important point here. If you are in it for fun, never forget why you do it, if success and money comes your way…..awesome for you!

If however you want to do this for money, ask yourself what you will do that will make your brand better or cheaper or more popular than the other guys who do it for money.

If you can’t come up with an answer or the answer is simply, because you always wanted your own company. Then man you aren’t in this for the right reasons, and you will get your ass handed to you.

It takes skill, time, and luck to make it all work even when you HAVE MONEY. Good luck and happy skateboard making.
buzzbuzz
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
general opinion? .....or directed at someone in particular?

glad I'm just a hobbyist.....

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Not directed at anyone. Just commenting on the stuff I went through.
slob-air
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63452 Location: S&B HQ
Money is fun.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
wow.

you nailed it...

i came in here 5 years ago with only my passion and some half ass skill. i read every fucking thread in here.....night and day....buiilt a small wakeskate company (skateboards for water). Did all the HUGE trade shows....kissed peoples asses to get into shops....got in ALL the major magazines.....you name we did it...but....

Your right...You better make that decision right away....money or fun....well put.

My company was banging for about 3 years as a "FUN" company and then i started to get "real busy" with orders and could not keep up......i had to make the decision to do this for real or just do it for "fun"......

i chose for real.....and was not prepared enough....long story short ....here i am a few years later coming on here to sell all of my board making tooling and approach a whole new industry.....

Long story short...Figure out right away if your gonna do this for a living or a hobby.....cause trying to blend the two together gracefully......good fucking luck.....get the fuck out now.

skinny i DO want to thank you for the help over the years and all the thing that you do for this site.

i just wish you would have posted this 6 years ago.......

dick.....haha j/k

Kevin
BlockheadSam
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Money is fun.

Monkey is Funk.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
can you have fun and make money?
skinny
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
If you bartend, strip or sell drugs.
rampman73
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Posts: 5555 Location: In your backyard skating, PA
Making money and putting out a great product is a priority.

Do those two and that will lead to fun, right?
devotid
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
nope.......you also have to put out a great marketing plan...team...events....videos....webpage.....and if that isnt enough you have to start handing out paychecks....then when thats not enough....

well you get the idea.....

so no you cant make money and have fun if your the OWNER.....

i recommend to try working on your big-spin to krook down that 15 stair kinked rail.......then the fun will start rolling in for free.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next