SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Pricing inventory
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Pricing inventory

westcoastcrush
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
pro decks 40%
blanks, china, no name etc. 60%
trucks 60%
wheels 75%
bearings 75%
completes 75%
clothes 75%
grip, hardware, stickers, accessories 100%
price all decks individually, because hardly anyone else does. your pro decks will end up in the $42-$55 dollar range and the kiddies apprecitate the choices.
don't charge for assembly of any new part, good customer service will set you apart from all the shops that have the rep for shitty cust. serv. which is pretty common in CA. If your customers come in and feel like they are interupting something, they will spin on out and talk shit later. Make sure your regulars who are hanging out know that they have a responsibility to make every single person (no matter how geeky!) who walks through that door is welcome and that you will take the time and energy to help them out. Don't need to give a hard sell... just be sincere and helpful. oh... don't expect to much from employees under 21 with no prior job experience. Employees the same age as your target market usually don't work out. Theft, shitty cust. serv., and they have a hard time controlling unruly groms who don't respect others their own age. Get yourself a good camera system on ebay (about $300) it will be put to use, i guarentee it. Don't wait to see how things go... just pony up the $ now or you will be sorry... I've been doing retail for 12 years and have had every imaginable and unimaginable thing happen... TRUST NO ONE!!!!!
OH YEAH... $500/month? sign a 10 year lease!

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
one more thing! you'll sell as much in shoes as you will skateboards.. so get them if you can afford it.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
westcoastcrush wrote:
one more thing! you'll sell as much in shoes as you will skateboards.. so get them if you can afford it.

Don't even get me started on the shoes issue. I can't believe how hard it has been to get in the door on shoes. I've called some companies every day for weeks. Told everyone that was listening that minimums were no problem and I would probably order more than that. The responses ranged from "call us back in 6 months", "No thanks, we aren't taking any new stores right now"", "Call us when you have our competition in stock", and the rest just flat out ignored my dozens of calls. I was finally able to get Sole Tech because I have a great rep in my area and he realized that I was the only skate shop in my area (still took a number of calls). I can't imagine any other industry working this way. I mean, I had money in hand and ready to spend and they still didn't want it because I wasn't a big box store. Very frustrating. My Sole Tech rep has hooked me up with the names of some other shoe reps he knows. Said mention his name and I'd be in. It's all about who you know and networking.
skateindex.com
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
@ BRIAN...check some of the old posts in here. You'll see me & Auragreg giving the shoe companies hell too.

It's funny to me that Sole Tech opened you first because they were literally the last company to open us. We had 6 or 7 brands on the wall, but the Sole Tech rep didn't care until we had Lakai, Vans, and Nike.

We had Duffs & Osiris for over a year before anyone else gave us the time of day. Luckily my partner is a genius and we were able to survive on hard-goods for a year and a half.

Sadly, the shoe game is about networking. My partner gave every rep at the tradeshow an envelope with shop photos, references, stickers, and other schwag so they could get to know us. We got to know the reps through weekly emails and phone calls and we made it more of a personal venture rather than just business.

...all pro boards priced @ $49.99 by the way. Price variations on pro boards only confuses parents. "Why does that piece of wood cost more than that other piece of wood?" The less time they have to think about pricing the easier it is to shop.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2